Sunday 22 April 2018

Thompson grabs initiative

Clongowes Wood 13
King's Hospital 5

It took a try from right-wing Aaron Thompson to guarantee Clongowes Wood College's safe passage into the quarter-finals against a resolute, aggressive King's Hospital yesterday.

Clongowes centre Garret O'Suilleabhain struck from distance for the lead in the 18th minute.

From there on, a stalemate evolved with both packs going hammer and thongs at each other before O'Suilleabhain booted his second for a 6-0 gap at the break.

The teak-tough fare continued in the second half as ball did not go to hand out wide. Clean breaks were a rare sight as tackles were made with authority. In short, defences were on top and keen to stay there.

In the 46th minute, King's Hospital's lock Josh Hinde slightly pulled a penalty from halfway. It was a precious chance to cut the deficit by half.

Then, Clongowes tight-head Ian Prendiville was held up over the line. It was merely a temporary glitch as the backline moved the subsequent scrum for left-wing Thompson to round the cover, with O'Suilleabhain converting.

Kings Hospital's Ireland Schools loose-head Des Merrey reached out a hand to intercept and accelerate away impressively from 40 metres for an unconverted try late on for his side's only score of the game.

Clongowes Wood College -- S MacAuley; O O'Suilleabhain ( N Jones 66), W McGlade (J McMahon 45), G O'Suilleabhain, A Thompson; D Quirke, D O'Meara (D Hayes 61); T Collis (E Byrne 47), E Lewis, I Prendiville, T Beirne, R Hynes (capt), S Burke (C O'Shea 26, temp, J Coughlan 59), N McCarthy, C Gilsensan.

King's Hospital -- P O'Reilly; J O'Connor, D Potterton, M Slone, P McMillan; T Quigley, H Hevey; D Merrey, D McDonough-Kinkade (S Woods 69), P Mullan, J Curran (S Fair-Brennan 65), J Hinde, T Satchwell (capt), B du Toit, L Satchwell.

Ref -- E Kenny (Leinster Branch).

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport