The routes to Rio
* The top four teams in the IRB World Sevens Series 2014/15 automatically qualify.
* The top team in a tournament in each continent qualifies.
* A repechage tournament will be played for the remaining teams where the top one/two teams qualify for the Olympics, depending on whether or not Brazil are given an automatic place.
HOW IRELAND CAN QUALIFY
* Rank in the top two nations in Europe who do not compete in the World Sevens Series.
* Qualify from a Hong Kong pre-qualifier tournament to compete in a London qualifier tournament.
* Qualify as one of the top two teams in the London qualifier.
* Come in the top four in the World Series.
* If unsuccessful, it's possible to qualify as the top team from the remaining European nations.
* If unsuccessful, it's possible to qualify as the top one/two from the remaining repechage tournament.