Monday 19 February 2018

Sheridan kicks High School into next round

Vinnie Murray Cup

Out-half Colin Sheridan kicked High School into the second round with an 11-point contribution in a 16-3 win over Templeogue College in the Leinster Schools (Section B) Vinnie Murray Senior Cup at Donnybrook yesterday.

Ireland Schools centre David McSharry, operating at 10 here, kicked Templeogue's penalty to leave it level 3-3 at the interval. High School's second row Sean Tevlin was the standout forward on view and hooker Stephen Carter's 45th minute try gave his side the momentum on which they were able to build through Sheridan's accurate place kicking and a smartly taken drop goal.

Cistercian College Roscrea started their Cup campaign without Leinster Schools out-half David Joyce in an easy 31-0 defeat of Maynooth Post Primary at Portlaoise.

Tipperary All-Ireland winning hurler Seamus Hennessy, at second row, got amongst the tries along with number eight Paddy Finn (2), scrum-half Kevin Quinlan and wing Peter Rouse.

It was not a day for constructive rugby at Westmanstown. Wesley dithered when they could only convert one of four attempts at goal for a 3-0 lead from centre Conor Classon's penalty as Newbridge wings Diarmuid Carr and Niall O'Brien excelled under the high ball.


Newbridge looked to openside Declan Callan and number eight Max Small for inspiration. They hit the front-foot to create three kicking chances. Out-half Sam Sutton nailed one to force a replay.

St Columba's College cut down on the errors to execute an impressive come-from-behind 14-5 win over Mount Temple at Palmerston. The losers camped inside their opponent's 22 for the last 10 minutes of the first-half for second row Eoin Crossan-Murphy to eventually break the try line on half-time.

St Columba's full-back Max Shirley sliced through the middle for the first try and hooker Shane Jocelyn made the game safe with the second for Leinster Schools out-half Ian McKinley to convert both.

Catholic University School eased past St Conleth's College 30-0 with four tries from captain Richard Whelan, openside Mark Kilduff, centre Mark Kelly and scrum-half Robbie McGrath at Merrion Road. The qualifiers couldn't deal with the tempo set by CUS, despite the best efforts of out-half Johnny O'Neill and openside Cian Coakley.

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport