Sport Rugby

Sunday 25 March 2018

Shannon's off-field problems left behind

Ail Round-up

Shannon put their off-field problems behind them as they swept to a bonus-point 32-10 victory against Dolphin in Division 1A yesterday.

Dolphin went in front with a try by prop Aidan Foley midway through the first half, but penalties by Tadhg Bennett had the Limerick side in front at the break. A try from Derek McCarthy five minutes into the second half edged Dolphin back in front, but the hosts responded in superb style. Stephen Kelly had Shannon's first try after 49 minutes and Eoghan Grace scored tries after 59 and 64 minutes, Fergal Walsh adding another in between.

Elsewhere, Cork Constitution had a lucky 18-15 win over Blackrock College at Temple Hill. A penalty miss by Ian Madigan from in front of the posts in the final minute denied the Dublin side a share of the spoils. Tries by Mick Carroll and Shane Monahan and a conversion by Madigan had Blackrock 12-10 ahead at half time. Richard Lane scored a try for the home side and put Con into the lead with a second touchdown a minute into the second half. Madigan later reduced the deficit with a penalty.

Clontarf got 2010 off to a winning start as they beat UL Bohemians 21-12. Michael Keating scored the opening try, and centre Henry Bryce gleefully pounced on his own kick before half-time for the second score. Kieran Essex's first try brought Bohs back into it after the break, but Bryce sent Keating through to finish the job.

Gavin Dunne's late penalty miss saw St Mary's crash to their second consecutive defeat, 14-16 to Garryowen, as they dropped behind Cork Constitution at the top of the table. Garryowen led 16-3 at the break thanks to Paul Neville's try and Conor Kilroy's boot, but Mary's fought back and Paul Marsh's late try set them up to steal the win. But Dunne couldn't deliver on the whistle and the points went to the visitors.

Meanwhile, in Division 1B, Alan Kingsley landed a last-minute penalty as Young Munster grabbed a dramatic 16-15 away win over Old Belvedere. Young Munster went in 13-10 ahead at the interval, and though a 72nd-minute Dave Mongan try gave Belvo the lead, Kingsley remained cool under pressure when steering over the decisive kick.

A second-half comeback by UCC saw them beat Galwegians 19-13 at the Mardyke and keep their promotion hopes alive. Galwegians dominated the opening half and led 6-5 at the break with two penalties by full-back Robert O'Beirne to a try by Ivan Dineen.

Two converted tries after the break by Sean Scanlon ensured the points for the home side. The visitors' only reply was a try by Ati Olive, which O'Beirne converted.

Buccaneers remain rooted to the bottom of Division 1B after yesterday's 13-16 reversal at the hands of Ballymena at Dubarry Park. David O'Hara and JH Potgeiter swapped early penalties but Buccaneers were in front 10-3 at half time through a Conor Higgins try after 26 minutes which Potgeiter converted.

Ten minutes into the second half Ballymena levelled when Ryan Fisher burst through for a try which O'Hara converted. The fly-half then followed up with two penalties, with Potgeiter successful in between as Ballymena secured a narrow win.

Also in Division 1B, the Ballynahinch versus Dungannon match was postponed.

Sunday Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport