Sunday 21 January 2018

Quinn nails controversial last-gasp kick to secure cup glory for Con

Cork Con 9 Garryowen 6

Chris Quinn, Cork Constitution, kicks his side's winning penalty.
Chris Quinn, Cork Constitution, kicks his side's winning penalty.
Cian Tracey

Cian Tracey

Munster Senior Cup Final

In what was a disappointing spectacle, it was fitting that the best player on the pitch had the final say.

Chris Quinn was Cork Con's hero as his controversial penalty -- the last kick of a game that went to extra-time -- retained Con's title.

The game was played in tough conditions at Thomond Park, with both sides struggling to get to grips with the slippery surface.

Jamie Gavin's penalty in the last minute of normal time forced extra-time but the Garryowen fly-half was then unable to put his side into the lead with two kickable penalties.

And with the game looking set for a 6-6 all draw -- meaning Garryowen would have claimed the title based on scoring the game's first points -- the referee awarded a penalty against a Garryowen official who had been warned about attempting to slow the game down.

Full-back Quinn held his nerve to land the penalty that claimed Cork Con's 25th Munster Senior Cup.


Garryowen made a bright start to the game and opened the scoring through a Gavin penalty but Con were given a chance to hit back almost immediately when Garryowen were penalised for being in front of the kicker.

Darragh Lyons missed the kick in front of the posts but the fly-half soon made amends when he kicked two penalties in seven minutes to put his side into a 6-3 lead.

The conditions caused plenty of problems, with Garryowen really struggling at their own line-out.

Con were beginning to gain the upper hand up front and their scrum was dominant all evening.

Garryowen lost their influential Munster Academy back-row Shane Buckley through a shoulder injury shortly before the break. His side trailed 6-3 at the half-time.

The Limerick men were vastly improved in the second half and finished the game much stronger. Both Lyons and Gavin were guilty of missing a penalty in front of the posts with the game drawing to a close.

There was time left for Gavin to land a fine penalty with the last kick of normal time -- but there was even more drama to follow.

Cork Con -- Chris Quinn; Cathal Quinn, L Duffy, N Kenneally, C Desmond; D Lyons, G Hurley (capt); G Duffy, A O'Driscoll, G Sweeney; J McSwiney, C O'Flaherty; G Lawlor, J Ryan (Cyprion Jouvre 76), L Cahill.

Garryowen -- L Bourke; J McInerney, A Gaughan, C Doyle, S McMahon; J Gavin, N Cronin; R Brosnan (capt), J Rael, P O'Shea (JP Cooney 27); A McCloskey, D Mulcair (E Rossiter 57); S Buckley (A Valcau 35), A Kavanagh (M Hanrahan 71), M Rowley.

Ref -- K Barry (MAR)

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport