Friday 24 January 2020

Rolling back the years . . . Foley to rescue to ensure Munster win in Thomond

Inter-pro win over great rivals the highlight, writes Daragh Small

Anthony Foley dotted down against Castres in December 2004 to avenge the Reds’ earlier defeat to the French team. Photo: Sportsfile
Anthony Foley dotted down against Castres in December 2004 to avenge the Reds’ earlier defeat to the French team. Photo: Sportsfile

Daragh Small

December 26, 2014

Please log in or register with for free access to this article.

Log In

Munster 28, Leinster 14

Thomond Park

Dave O'Callaghan put the seal on Munster's brilliant interprovincial derby win over Leinster at Thomond Park.

It was the first time that Munster did the double over Leinster since 2008-'09 with CJ Stander and Andrew Conway also among the tries.

Ian Keatley scored 13 points from the kicking tee while Shane Jennings scored the only Leinster effort. The rest of their points came from the boot of Ian Madigan.

Munster went into half-time with an 11-6 lead after Stander's 16th-minute try put them in the ascendency. Keatley and Madigan traded penalties early but Munster were the dominant force.

Former Leinster back Conway scored on the resumption and O'Callaghan made the game safe with his try shortly after the hour.


January 16, 2010

Treviso 7, Munster 44

Stadio Monigo

Denis Hurley scored early to point Munster in the direction of a thumping victory over Treviso at Stadio Monigo.

Munster scored five tries and ensured they came away from Italy with a bonus point to move into pole position in Pool 1 of the Heineken Cup.

Paul Warwick had the bonus point wrapped up before half-time and there were also tries for Keith Earls, Donncha O'Callaghan and Donnacha Ryan. The 2006 and 2008 winners were already completely in control when they took a big 30-7 lead into half-time.

Hurley's first try arrived in the fourth minute and that set the tone as the hosts couldn't cope with the Munster onslaught.

Earls had scored Munster's second try by the sixth minute and they pulled clear with O'Callaghan on target five minutes later.

It looked as though a rout was on the cards and Warwick scored six minutes before half-time to ensure there would be no let-up.


December 11, 2004

Munster 36, Castres Olympique 8

Thomond Park

Frankie Sheahan touched down for the bonus-point try as Munster fought hard to get their Heineken Cup campaign back on track with a win over Castres.

Anthony Foley, Denis Leamy, Paul O'Connell and Christian Cullen also scored tries and Munster avenged their narrow 19-12 loss at Castres.

Munster were 17-8 ahead at half-time even though they had to withstand an early French onslaught.

But Foley relieved the tension when he scored at the beginning of the second quarter. Leamy scored late in the half and then O'Gara added the conversion and a penalty.

Ten minutes into the second half, O'Connell touched down. Sheahan scored in the 68th minute and Cullen wrapped it up.


April 15, 2000

Munster 27, Stade Francais 10

Thomond Park

Anthony Horgan's try laid the platform as Munster booked their place in a first ever Heineken Cup semi-final with victory over Stade Francais at Thomond Park.

Horgan and Dominic Crotty touched down and the French were left floundering while they trailed by 12-3 at half-time.

The second half belonged to Ronan O'Gara and he kicked Munster into the final four.

Munster were in front after four minutes when Horgan scored before Crotty finished off Munster's second try.

O'Gara didn't miss on this occasion and Munster were 12-0 up after just nine minutes.

It was a sensational start and Stade Francais' only score in the first half was a penalty from their captain Diego Dominguez.

But it was the Munster No 10 who dominated the second half and five penalties were enough to seal the win.

Irish Independent

The Left Wing: Schools rugby special - 'The St Michael’s dream team are the side to beat'

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport