'I'd buy a JCB if I won the lotto'
Take 20: CJ Stander
1: Pre-match meal?
I normally stick with two bowls of oats before each game. I eat well the week beforehand and when it's game-day I want to feel full all the time, so it's oats, peanut butter and a little bit of honey.
2: Favourite player growing up?
I enjoyed the way Bobby Skinstad expressed himself and how he played.
3. Best away day room-mate and why?
He's not with the squad anymore, BJ Botha. He always knows what he wants in life so getting into the room he would always take the same bed. He's a very neat guy and brings a bit of music to the room. If we got to the airport, sometimes I would collect the bags and he would get the coffee or vice versa. We had a good system going, me and BJ were in sync.
4. Who would headline your houseparty?
I like Hermitage Green or Mumford and Sons, that would be my kind of vibe. It wouldn't be Kanye West.
5. First song they would play?
My favourite song in the last few weeks is 'Havana by Camila Cabello.'
6. You win the Lotto, first thing you would buy?
I would buy myself a JCB. That would be the first thing, I wouldn't tell anyone I was just be driving it around.
7. Favourite movie?
The last movie I watched was Lucky Logan. I like anything with Channing Tatum.
8. Favourite TV show and why?
'Gold Rush' because it has a lot of JCBs in it and that's what I like.
9. Earliest rugby memory growing up?
I was seven. I remember one guy tackled me. I got up and I was crying and my mom Amanda said you need to hand-off guys. That's the first pain I ever had in the game.
10. Who is the joker in the dressing room?
Duncan Casey puts out zingers. If he gets on your case then you're trouble.
11. Favourite holiday destination and why?
Mauritius. I try and go there every year. The weather is perfect, good service and it's the perfect island.
12. Favourite away ground to play at?
Aviva Stadium. It's a good pitch and I like the atmosphere.
13. Three people (dead or alive) who you would invite to your dinner party?
My grandmothers Marie Stander and Marie Janse van Rensburg. My grandfather Chris Stander too. These people have knowledge that you can't buy.
14. Most memorable moment in rugby?
Beating New Zealand in Chicago, that's one of the best days I ever had.
15. Do you have any pre-match superstitions / rituals?
Lately I need the ice bath the night before. I get the underpants for the year and I need to have them for the game. I get strapped and then I call my mother, my father and then my wife. If I don't get that done I don't feel right. I just need to say hi to them.
16. Who is the best player you have played alongside and why?
Rory Best. He's one of the best leaders I have ever had in my life. If he talks in the huddle it feels like he is talking to each individual.
17. Who is the best player you have played against and why?
There are two guys that when I was in South Africa I was scared of: Jean Deysel, when he gets the ball he is running over someone. And Jacques Burger, he used to saw people in half the way he tackled them.
18. Can you tell us an interesting fact about yourself?
I love antiques, anything that is antique or vintage. I have a 1985 Land Rover Defender. After my wife it's the most important thing to me at the moment.
19. Name three things that are always in your fridge?
Milk, eggs and you can never go wrong with bacon. Anything to do with bacon.
20. Best advice you ever got?
No one owes you anything in life. You need to try and find your way. My brother-in-law told me that. I have been living like that in the last three or four years.