Chris Cloete: 'If I didn't play rugby I would shoot for the stars. I would be an astronaut'
Take 20: Chris Cloete
Chris Cloete answer are Take 20 questions.
1. What's your pre-training routine?
Please log in or register with Independent.ie for free access to this article.
I have to have my cup of coffee in the morning before I start the day. I live about 20 minutes out of town in Granard, so I drink my coffee, drive to the High Performance Centre in UL, meet the boys and go from there.
We all head over to the 4G matches and get stretched out and ready to train. It's a nice routine.
2. You're in charge of the after-match tunes, what goes on first?
I would choose Bob Marley, such a classic!
3. Imagine a world where you're not a rugby player - what's your job?
If I didn't play rugby I would shoot for the stars. I would be an astronaut.
4. Stranded on a desert island, what three things do you take?
A fishing rod, a tent and fresh water. It would be an interesting experience.
5. Which team-mate would you want with you and why?
I would have Duncan Williams there with me, because he has by far the best personality on the current Munster team.
6. What's your favourite Instagram page you follow and why?
Probably NatGeo, it's the Instagram page for the National Geographic channel. I love the outdoors and they have lots of cool stuff related to that.
So whenever I'm free and just chilling out I like to have a look through it.
7. What do you do when not training or playing a match?
I really do love the outdoors. If I am not out on the rugby field or in the gym you can find me either hiking, fishing or hunting. I also like to take my dog, Sage, on long walks every day too. It's great to be out in the fresh air.
8. What's your first sporting memory as a player or spectator?
As a player, it was probably when I was playing for the U-8s back home, and I ran over the try-line and deadball-line and I touched the ball down. I thought I had scored a great try.
I was celebrating and didn't realise what had actually happened. I learned a lesson that day!
9. You have one moment from your career to do over. What is it?
Probably nothing. I wouldn't have got to where I am now if I didn't go through everything else.
10. What rugby skill would you most like to possess?
A Cheslin Kolbe step. I would break my ankles if I even tried to do it.
11. Favourite song lyric?
"I wish I was a little bit taller," from 'I Wish' by Skee-Lo.
12. What current player in your position do you most admire?
Probably David Pocock. Francois Pienaar would have been my favourite openside from the past.
13. What former coach has had the biggest effect on your game and why?
John Dobson, because he gave me the shot to get back into the system, when it didn't look like I had a chance.
14. What was your first car?
My first car was a Volkswagen Polo 2009. It was white.
15. What sporting event makes your bucket list?
The Monaco Grand Prix. I have never been to a Grand Prix before.
16. One minute to go in the Champions Cup final, your team is four points down back on your own line. What do you do?
Probably go through the phases and listen to the game-plan that the coaches have built for us.
It's all about being patient in that scenario, and then hopefully we can get over the whitewash up the other end.
17. What was the last concert you went to?
I don't go to concerts. I have actually never been to one before.
18. Tell us something interesting about yourself.
I want to climb Mount Everest. I have climbed Carrauntoohil and most of the highest mountains around here.
19. What's your best memory playing rugby for Munster?
I keep on making new ones every weekend, so I will keep on trying to make new ones with the guys.
20. Who'll win the 2019 Guinness PRO14, Champions Cup and Rugby World Cup?
Munster will win the PRO14 and Ireland will win the World Cup, I'm not sure about the Champions Cup.