Munster defence coach Ferreira issues positive bulletin on out-half’s fitness
It’s looking increasingly likely that Joey Carbery will at least return to action for Munster before the end of the Six Nations as the end to his injury nightmare seems to be happening a bit quicker than expected.
The fact that the 25-year-old, who has been out of action for more than 13 months with an ankle injury, is being considered for selection for this Friday’s trip to play Cardiff Blues in the PRO14 is testimony to progress he has made in recent weeks.
His return might not happen until next week’s clash with Connacht at Thomond Park, or Scarlets or Benetton in the subsequent weeks, but barring another setback to a career dogged by injury, it’s looking increasingly likely that he will soon be back on the field.
Munster defence coach JP Ferreira yesterday stressed that Carbery was not being rushed and that a number of factors needed to align for the out-half to resume, not least the player himself, the medical team and head coach Johann van Graan.
“We are waiting on the medics and we are waiting on Joey, so he has to just come through training and if it takes another week or another two weeks or another three weeks, that’s just what it’s going to be. He might not play this weekend, I can’t tell you. It’s up to him, the medical team and Johann.
“He is training, obviously they are amending his training, he is in and out but he really looked good last week and he obviously just got to keep on going and when he is comfortable, and the medics are comfortable and Johann then he might be included, but he is looking really well.”
Munster have a run of four games in four weekends and Ferreira confirmed that Carbery is getting very close to a return to action.
“Yeah, he probably is but no pressure on him, we are not putting pressure on anyone. He needs to be 100pc in his mind and the medics need to be 100pc on it so he is looking good currently. Probably needs a bit more contact but that will come.”
Meanwhile, the Pretoria native said that while there is uncertainty how the season will continue in the pandemic, he said nothing was coming out of South Africa to suggest that the proposed Rainbow Cup would not take place.
“They are currently starting up a smaller competition to prepare them for the Rainbow Cup. I haven’t heard any rumours or anything that it is not going ahead. As far as I know, it is going ahead. Does the Lions tour play a part in it? It probably does.
“So I think the decision will probably be up to PRO14 and to see what happens on the back of the Lions tour and if it carries on or doesn’t,” he added.