Friday 23 March 2018

Munster face EPCR investigation over Murray HIA incident

Conor Murray of Munster is treated for an injury during the European Rugby Champions Cup match against Glasgow Warriors
Conor Murray of Munster is treated for an injury during the European Rugby Champions Cup match against Glasgow Warriors
Ruaidhri O'Connor

Ruaidhri O'Connor

European Champions Cup organisers EPCR are set to launch an investigation into the incident that saw Conor Murray go off for a Head Injury Assessment (HIA) during the second-half of their win over Glasgow Warriors yesterday.

The scrum-half went down following a collision with Warriors second-row Tim Swinson and received lengthy treatment from the medical team before carrying on and making another big hit on Josh Strauss.

However when the Munster medical team reviewed the footage Murray was removed to undergo a Head Injury Assessment. He passed that test and returned to finish the game.

Treatment of head injuries is under major scrutiny at the minute after Northampton Saints had their knuckles wrapped over the controversial failure to remove George North from the field of play against Leicester Tigers last month.

The Murray incident drew plenty of criticism on social media, with former England and Lions prop Alex Corbisiero describing it as "ridiculous", adding he was "shocked, saddened and disappointed" that Murray returned to the field of play. understands that EPCR's Medical Advisory Group, which is headed by the RFU's Simon Kemp, has begun the process of establishing an independent working group entitled 'The Untoward Incident Review Group' to review the incident before making a ruling.

EPCR began the process of contacting the match officials and Munster Rugby to establish a time-line of how it unfolded and get the findings of the HIA.

The province have clarified that their medical team assessed Murray in the aftermath of the incident and were satisfied that he was showing no signs of concussion.

On subsequent review of the footage of the incident, the medical team then decided to remove the scrum-half to undergo the Head Injury Assessment(HIA 1) "as a precaution". He passed that test and returned to the field of play to complete the game and then passed a second HIA in the dressing-room after the game.

The Group is likely to convene this week to review the incident and make a finding.

Munster captain Peter O'Mahony, meanwhile, did suffer a concussion during yesterday's win and will follow the Return to Play protocols this week ahead of the final Pool 1 fixture against Racing 92.

Munster won the game 14-12 thanks to Francis Saili's try and qualified for the quarter-finals of the Champions Cup as a result.

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport