Sport Rugby

Monday 19 March 2018

Mary's dig deep to keep Shannon at bay



St Mary's overcame a first-half battering at scrum and lineout to set up a resounding victory over Shannon at Templeville Road.

The Templeogue side repelled numerous attacks close to their line before tries from Matthew D'Arcy and Ray Crotty put them in control, 12-0.

Shannon did their level best to try and force their way back into the contest before the break, but the wind advantage that Mary's had at their disposal was beginning to pay dividends.

Damien Hall got in under the posts for Mary's early in the second half to put his side in complete control and it was only in the dying embers of the match that Shannon responded, with tries from James Murphy and Conor Cunnane.

Young Munster 21

Garryowen 15

Two ex-Garryowen players did all the damage to their former team-mates as Young Munster maintained their bid for league honours with a hard-earned win in this local derby at Clifford Park.

Outhalf Willie Staunton dropped an early goal, but a splendid move culminated with a try for Garryowen by Ian Hanley and Declan Cusack landed a penalty to put them 8-6 in front. Staunton then dropped a second goal to restore a Young Munster lead they never relinquished.

And the other former Garryowen player, Andrew Bourke ran in two second-half tries either side of an Alan Gaughan touchdown.

Blackrock College 12

Lansdowne 40

Lansdowne were in rampant form at Stradbrook as a hat-trick from flanker Jordi Murphy moved Mike Ruddock's side up to fourth spot.

Blackrock found themselves 6-0 behind inside the opening 10 minutes after a brace of penalties from Lansdowne's Craig Ronaldson.

Murphy got the opening try of the contest when he was put through after an excellent run by Matt Healy, and Ronaldson converted. His third successful penalty 28 minutes later ensured that Lansdowne held an impressive 16-0 cushion heading into the second half.

Lansdowne continued to dominate the exchanges after the restart, and they moved into a 26-0 lead by the 50th minute as tries from Tom Sexton and Murphy saw them home.

Dolphin 17

Old Belvedere 16

Another victory for Dolphin at Musgrave Park, but defending champions Old Belvedere did come close to recording their first win.

Andy O'Driscoll put the home side ahead with a try after one minute and Barry Keeshan converted. The visitors came more into it and three penalties from Eamon Fitzgerald had Belvo ahead after 30 minutes, but a John Quill try made it 12-9 for the home side at half-time.

Dolphin went further ahead with a third try from Rob O'Herlihy early in the second half. A try for Belvo by John Kennedy, converted by Danny O'Riordan, closed the gap to a point with six minutes to go, but the home side held on for victory.

Clontarf 10

Cork Con 9

League leaders Clontarf kept their good run of form going with a scrappy one-point victory over Cork Constitution at Castle Avenue.

Clontarf found some form in the second half and their more attacking approach resulted in a try from Niall Treston with an hour played, which Richie Lane easily converted.

The Munster side tried to claw their way back into the game, and two fine penalties from Gerry Hurley brought them to within a point, but Clontarf's dogged defence saw them hang on for the win.

UCD 31


A drop goal in the last minute of normal time by outhalf Niall Earls gave UCD a dramatic victory in this eight-try thriller at Belfield.

The Students dominated possession and territory throughout the match and thoroughly deserved their victory, which was founded on an excellent performance by their forwards.

Belfast Harlequins 27

UCC 18

BELFAST Harlequins strengthened their position at the top of the table with a fully deserved victory over UCC at Deramore Park.

They had much the better of the play throughout and led 17-6 at half-time. And Ian Porter, who has helped them to so many victories lately with his kicking, was again on target with two penalties and two conversions.

Ballynahinch 22

Buccaneers 14

Ballynahinch, after dominating the first half and leading by 22-0 at the interval, appeared to ease off and allowed Buccaneers back into the game at Ballymacarn Park but did enough for victory. 'Hinch have now moved back into contention in third behind two Ulster teams, Belfast Harlequins and Ballymena.

Sunday Indo Sport

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport