Friday 19 October 2018

WATCH: Leinster's Andrew Porter flattens two Ulster tacklers to set up stunning try as Jordan Larmour shines in derby rout

Leinster 38 Ulster 7

Jordan Larmour of Leinster celebrates after scoring his side's first try during the Guinness PRO14 Round 13 match between Leinster and Ulster at the RDS Arena in Dublin. Photo by Seb Daly/Sportsfile
Jordan Larmour of Leinster celebrates after scoring his side's first try during the Guinness PRO14 Round 13 match between Leinster and Ulster at the RDS Arena in Dublin. Photo by Seb Daly/Sportsfile
Ruaidhri O'Connor

Ruaidhri O'Connor

The case for Jordan Larmour playing a leading role in Leinster’s decisive Champions Cup games and Ireland’s Six Nations campaign grew further at the RDS as the 20-year-old led his province to their third interpro win in 11 days.

The eastern province blew Ulster away and it was their youngest player who was at the heart of their effort, looking dangerous with every touch as he continued to build his reputation.

Having lit up Thomond Park on St Stephen's Day, man of the match Larmour  returned to the team and scored two tries, played a leading role in two more and was denied a hat-trick by the referee as the boys in blue warmed up a bitterly cold night in Ballsbridge with a six-try win that put distance between themselves and Ulster in Conference B of the Guinness PRO14.

The only concern for Leo Cullen ahead of next Sunday’s visit of Glasgow was the sight of James Tracy and Garry Ringrose limping off, while Tadhg Furlong didn’t come back out after half-time having received treatment for a wrist issue.

Otherwise, the good times kept rolling as Leinster swatted their rivals aside with ease.

They led within six minutes as Ulster were left to rue a second slow start in six days.

Ravenhill-bound back-row Jordi Murphy forced a penalty in his own half and Ross Byrne took advantage of the strong wind at his back by finding touch.

The home maul didn’t get far, but James Tracy peeled off and made yards before Fergus McFadden stepped inside the Ulster cover and found Jordan Larmour who continued his brilliant series by leaving Jacob Stockdale for dead to score.

Byrne converted and Leinster kept the pressure on and extended their lead on 15 minutes with Larmour once again at heart of things.

With Leinster’s scrum exerting pressure in the left-corner, the backs went on the attack and, while McFadden slipped en route to the line, his fellow winger Barry Daly wouldn’t be stopped after Larmour held Charles Piutau’s attention long enough to release the UCD man who held off the All Black’s challenge to score.

This time Byrne missed a much tougher conversion attempt, but even as Ulster looked to hit back the boys in blue looked dangerous.

Having finally established position in the opposition ’22, the visiting maul appeared to be heading towards a score when young flanker Josh Murphy dislodged the ball and Jack Conan pounced to race clear and find McFadden whose gallop was cut short by a high Andrew Trimble tackle.

That handed Leinster a chance to attach, but the winger made up for it by holding Scott Fardy up and turning the ball over, before Stockdale read Byrne’s mind and stepped up to pick his pass off only to lose control. If he held it, there was nothing to stop him racing the length of the pitch.

It appeared as if Ulster had gotten on top as half-time approached, but again their errors nearly caught them as they needed Iain Henderson to force Larmour to knock Byrne’s chip on as he attempted to touch down.

Furlong was replaced by Andrew Porter as Leinster led 12-0 at the break and the youngster helped win a scrum penalty with his first involvement.

His old school-mate Larmour thought he had scored a second try only for George Clancy and the Television Match Official (TMO) Peter Fitzgibbon to spot that Jamison Gibson-Park strayed offside before delivering the scoring pass.

The RDS faithful didn’t have to wait long for a third try and again it was Larmour who provided the spark by collecting his own chip as Ulster hesitated on the left.

Sean Cronin made a strong carry up the middle off Garry Ringrose’s shoulder, before Scott Fardy put McFadden clear down the right and the in-form winger stepped inside Stockdale to score.

Byrne converted and the bonus point score soon followed as Ulster again coughed up possession on the attack and were punished dearly.

Leinster moved the ball to Porter and he didn’t need asking twice – brushing Darren Cave aside, bumping Stockdale out of his way before racing clear and finding Gibson-Park who passed it on to McFadden who wasn’t going to be caught.

Again Byrne converted before making way for Johnny Sexton for the final quarter an he played his part in Larmour’s second by finding Robbie Henshaw wide and the centre put his full-back over ion the corner.

Stockdale pulled a consolation score back for his side but Ulster lost Tommy Bowe and Wiehahn Herbst to injury in the build-up.

Two of many headaches for Les Kiss to deal with ahead of the visit of La Rochelle next week.

A grim night for the Ulster coach was complete when  another loose pass resulted in Sexton scoring and converting Leinster's sixth try as he raced on to Max Deegan's pass in the final throes of a one-sided game.


LEINSTER – J Larmour; F McFadden, G Ringrose (N Reid 59), R Henshaw, B Daly; R Byrne (J Sexton 58), J Gibson-Park (N McCarthy 66); J McGrath (capt) (E Byrne 58), J Tracy (S Cronin 27), T Furlong (A Porter h-t); D Toner (M Kearney 66), S Fardy; Josh Murphy, Jordi Murphy, Jack Conan (M Deegan 61).

ULSTER -- C Piutau (T Bowe 55); A Trimble, D Cave, S McCloskey, J Stockdale; C Lealiifano (J McPhillips 55), J Stewart (J Cooney 55); C Black (K McCall 61), R Best (capt) (R Herring 65), R Ah You (W Herbst 50-74); P Browne (A O’Connor 55), I Henderson; M Rea, S Reidy (N Timoney 57), J Deysel.

Ref – G Clancy (IRFU)

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport