Sport Rugby

Sunday 25 February 2018

Joyce pulls strings to keep 'Tarf top

Clontarf remain top of the table after a comprehensive victory over Cork Constitution at Temple Hill. David Joyce was Clontarf's hero as he kicked seven penalties.

A try from Max Farland and three penalties by Joyce had the visitors 14-6 ahead at half time. Darragh Lyons kicked two penalties for the home side. Joyce added four penalties before Conor Desmond scored a consolation try for the home side and Lyons converted.

Scrumhalf Brian Haugh was the Young Munster hero as they beat Dolphin at Clifford Park. The Cork side led with a try by Cian Bohane which Rory Scannell converted but Haugh hit back with a try for Young Munster.

Kolio Hifo put Young Munster in front with another try and the only second-half scores were a penalty by Haugh and a late drop goal from Willie Staunton.

Ballynahinch secured their first win in 1A, and deservedly so, against bottom of the table Garryowen. It was an important one as third from bottom St Mary's had unexpectedly defeated UCD on Friday.

Hinch's outhalf Ritchie Lobb was injured in the warm up and the more-than-capable Ross Adair filled in. Jamie Gavin kicked an early penalty but Hinch came back to make it 11-6 by the interval after Adair crossed for their try and David McIlwaine kicked two penalties. Gavin had a second penalty but gradually the home team took control. In the 75th minute, Aaron Ferris scored a converted try to put the issue beyond doubt.

A brace of opening-half tries by Shane Donovan proved crucial at Lakelands Park yesterday afternoon, as Terenure College held off a strong fight-back by Shannon to maintain their 100 per cent start to life in 1B.

A 13th-minute penalty by out-half Mark O'Neill had helped 'Nure break the deadlock, and even though Shannon registered a converted try courtesy of powerful No 8 David Quinlan, the reliable O'Neill quickly reduced the home side's deficit to the bare minimum.

Terenure started to dominate, and a strong drive from a maul led to a penalty try on 22 minutes. This opened the floodgates, and further five-pointers by Donovan in the 25th and 29th minutes respectively gave the south Dubliners a seemingly insurmountable 25-7 interval lead. However, Shannon made a positive start upon the resumption, and narrowed the gap thanks to a Gearoid Lyons penalty. Conor Glynn crossed for the visitors 12 minutes from time but they were unable to close the gap.

A second-half penalty by Finn Gormley gave Corinthians the points at Annacotty as they held out against a home side who had greater possession in the second half. Gormley kicked a penalty and converted an intercept try by John Byrne to put Corinthians 10-0 in front.

A try either side of half-time by left wing Ardrian Enright made it all square but Gormley had the final say.

Dublin University are still looking for their first victory in the competition but this was a closely fought, if far from entertaining, encounter. Quins had the better of the first period but only led by three points at the half-way stage due to a Liam Cambridge penalty.

After the restart, Trinity started to combine better but the home team defended well and only conceded one try, scored by Jack Fitzpatrick. Quins' try was well executed with Mark Best scoring for Cambridge to convert and add a second penalty. Kearns also had a penalty for the visitors

A very disappointing effort by Malone who led 25-10 but then appeared to lose concentration at Gibson Park.

They have the small consolation of a bonus point but will scarcely believe the manner of their defeat. Full credit to the Dublin side who bided their time and took over complete control in the final quarter. They trailed 15-3 at the interval but ran in five second-half tries, with Scott Lennon grabbing two as mistakes and charged-down kicks allowed Blackrock to clinch a warranted success.

Sunday Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport