Sport Rugby

Friday 24 November 2017

In brief: Boland try edges UL Bohs over line

Munster junior cup final

Though they had three players sin-binned at various stages, UL Bohemian retained the Munster Junior Cup with a hard-earned 13-6 win over a Young Munster side cheered on by Paul O'Connell, who played on the last side to win the trophy in 1999.

A Giles Boland try from a Ross Butler pass just 10 minutes from the end of the match proved to be the crucial score.

Both place kickers missed a number of shots at goal before Aidan McNulty broke the deadlock four minutes into first-half stoppage-time for UL Bohemian.

Ian Cross levelled for Young Munster before McNulty had another penalty after 67 minutes.

However, a 40-metre strike by Cross had them level again until Boland's try, which was converted by McNulty, edged the victory for UL Bohemian.

Women's AIL Div 1 Play-off final

UL Bohemian completed the league and cup double when they again saw off the challenge from Blackrock College 17-0 at Dubarry Park on Saturday.

The scoreline may indicate an easy victory for the Limerick side, but Blackrock dominated for long periods in the second half and were unlucky not to get over for at least one try which their pressure deserved.

The Munster side led by 10-0 at half-time as Nicole Fitzgerald's penalty after eight minutes opened the scoring. A Paula O'Connor try on 31 minutes, which Fitzgerald converted, completed the scoring in the opening half.

Patrique Kelly with a try after 49 minutes, which was converted by Sarah Jane Cody, proved to be the only score during the second half as UL Bohs added the league title to their cup win also over Blackrock.

Blackrock tried hard to take the bare look off the scoreboard but, in spite of spending long periods close to the UL line, were unable to make a breakthrough.

Metropolitan Cup Final

LANSDOWNE captain William Wallace is certainly living up to his name this season, after he led his side to a J1 double after beating Garda 20-0 at Donnybrook yesterday.

Wallace scored a late try to finally kill off a brave Garda challenge in their first Metropolitan Cup final.

Andrew Geraghty opened the scoring with a penalty, before hooker David Twomey finally got over the line after two of his team-mates' previous efforts were held up. Geraghty added the extras.

Despite losing Willie Earle to a yellow card, Geraghty stretched the lead with a penalty soon after the kick-off. The leaders were reduced to 13 men when Ben Horan and Twomey were sin-binned, but they held out and Wallace's try sealed the win.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport