Wednesday 13 December 2017

Impressive Cork Con ease into next round

Munster Junior Cup

Holders Cork Constitution were the only senior club side to win against junior club opposition last weekend.

The Temple Hill outfit travelled to Jim Slattery Park, where they defeated St Senan's 29-0 in their first game in this season's competition.

First-half tries from Philip O'Leary, Alan Ross, Brian Derham and Eoin O'Donnell and two Derham conversions gave the defending champions a 24-0 half-time lead.

Jayde Cruickshank scored a fifth try for winners after the break.

Tralee edged out Bruff 13-11 in a thrilling tie at the Kerry venue. A penalty from Ritchie McAuliffe and a try by Barry Enright gave Bruff an 8-3 interval lead.

Daniel Clarke replied with a penalty for the home side.

The awarding of a penalty try to Tralee proved the decisive factor, with Clarke converting and Garreth Walsh also adding a penalty.

Bruff's only response was a second penalty from McAuliffe.


Kinsale followed up their win over Thomond in the last round with another win over a Senior club side when they recorded an 11-3 home win over Midleton.

A try by Joe Lyons and two penalties by Peter Murphy proved enough for Kinsale, who must now travel to Kilfeacle in the next round next week. Robert Colan-O'Leary replied with a penalty for the East Cork side.

League champions Richmond booked their place in the quarter-finals with a 20-12 home win over Newcastle West.

Despite playing into the wind in the first half, Richmond led 10-7 at half-time with a try from Michael Kelleher and a conversion and penalty by Brian Mullins to a try by James Kelly, which Tommy Kelleher converted.

Barry McNamara scored a second try for Richmond and Mullins converted, before adding a penalty, while Newcastle West's only response was a try from Michael Culhane.

Perhaps the biggest shock of the round saw Second Division Mallow defeat Waterpark 31-8.

The North Cork side looked to have suffered a huge blow when their reliable goal kicker Andy Cashman was forced to leave the field with an injury after just four minutes.

And they looked in further bother when a try by Shane Kelly and a penalty by Geoff Deegan had Waterpark 8-0 in front.

However, Robbie Doyle scored a try for Mallow and Dave Walsh added the conversion to make it 8-7 and then a try from Michael Sweeney, converted by Walsh, put the home side ahead.

After that, they simply fixed the Waterford side in their rear view mirror.

Walsh kicked a penalty, Chris O'Regan added a brace of tries, with Walsh and Doyle each converting, and Mallow had booked their place in the next round and a trip to Duhallow to take on Challenge Cup holders and Division One runners-up Kanturk.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport