Saturday 16 December 2017

Gerard's hit back to deny Wexford

Michael O'Toole, St. Gerards School, celebrates his side's victory at the final whistle
Michael O'Toole, St. Gerards School, celebrates his side's victory at the final whistle


ST GERARD'S launched a stirring second-half comeback as they fought back from a 12-5 interval deficit to sink CBS Wexford 24-12 in the Vinnie Murray Senior Cup semi-final at Wicklow RFC.

The Wexford school were in sight of a famous victory when they led by 12-10 after 50 minutes thanks to tries from second-row Joe Coleman, following a maul, and centre Josh Healy. Fly-half Sean Stafford converted the second to put Wexford within touching distance of a shock.

However, St Gerard's recovered and tries from centre Con Callan, a penalty try and the clincher by wing Adam Symmonds sealed the win.

Gonzaga held off a spirited late rally from CUS before securing a 33-21 victory at Sydney Parade.

'Zaga raced into 26-7 lead with left wing Roddy Fitzpatrick, right wing Kevin O'Connor and centre Andy Marks all crossing early to leave CUS on the ropes.

However, No 8 Luke Trench bagged three tries, all converted by Matthew Butler to reduce it to a one-score game before Gonzaga fly-half Ross McKeever got the fifth try and his fourth conversion to secure the win.


Leigh Halfpenny has underlined his desire to continue playing for Wales after agreeing a lucrative contract with reigning European champions Toulon.

The full-back's two-year deal, plus a third season option, will see him join fellow superstars Jonny Wilkinson and Bryan Habana at Stade Felix Mayol.

He will leave Cardiff Blues in June, following Wales team-mates Jamie Roberts, Dan Lydiate, Mike Phillips and James Hook to France's Top 14. Ian Evans (Toulon) and Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne) are also departing later this year.

ST MARY'S MALLOW saw off Ursuline College Sligo in the U-16 'B' schools final in Tallaght after a controversial fourth quarter.

Ursulines were in front for the first time at the end of the third quarter when a clash between both teams' top-scoring players resulted in Aoife Leahy being fouled out of the game.

Sinead O'Mahony was able to resume after receiving treatment and she went on to play a key role as the Mallow girls went on to triumph by 44-37.

In the U-16 'C' final, Roisín Egan inspired Gallen CS Ferbane to a 33-26 win over St Joseph's, Charlestown.

Wicklow Sailing Club, which organises the Round Ireland race, has linked up with the Royal Irish Yacht Club to provide full facilities in Dun Laoghaire for the larger yachts which are unable to berth in Wicklow Port.

The 34th edition of the premier sailing race, which is expected to attract entrants from Russia, the USA and New Zealand, will depart Wicklow on Sunday June 28 at 2.0.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport