Sport Rugby

Tuesday 11 December 2018

Deasy on fire as Lansdowne sink Clontarf

Lansdowne's Scott Deasy. Photo: Brendan Moran/Sportsfile
Lansdowne's Scott Deasy. Photo: Brendan Moran/Sportsfile Sportsdesk

An inspired performance from Scott Deasy helped Lansdowne claim a 38-8 bonus-point victory over Clontarf in Division 1A of the Ulster Bank League yesterday. The former Munster out-half contributed 18 points.

Deasy, who was on fire, released winger Adam Leavy for an early try in the corner, before his brilliant conversion made it 7-0. He then provided his second try assist on 19 minutes when his cross-field kick landed into the chest of winger Daniel McEvoy, who scored.

Another Deasy conversion left the visitors 14 points behind, but 'Tarf eventually opened their account courtesy of a routine Conor Kelly penalty just shy of the half-hour mark. However, Lansdowne wrested back control as Alan Bennie dotted down under the posts. Deasy's conversion, followed by a wayward effort from distance by Kelly, meant Lansdowne led 21-3 at half-time.

In the second half, Deasy increased his tally with a penalty, and the bonus point arrived in the 55th minute. Charlie Rock picked out Aaron Conneely, who bagged Lansdowne's fourth converted try. Clontarf got back within touching distance with a Conor O'Brien score. But then Deasy intercepted a pass to sprint through for a clinical five-pointer and a resounding 30-point winning margin.

Dublin University won for the first time in four rounds as they beat St Mary's 25-10 at College Park. The students led from start to finish, with Jack Kelly and Michael Silvester prominent. Kelly's break set up an opening penalty from Jack McDermott.

Full-back Silvester unlocked the Mary's defence and offloaded for prop Joe Byrne to finish off by the posts, with McDermott converting. That good work was undone when Sean Kearns' penalty and try from an overthrown Trinity lineout had Mary's level. However, after James Bollard was denied by a knock-on, the hosts scored from a brilliant move as winger Evan Dixon went over out wide. Luck was on the students' side when a Mary's error from a kick led to McDermott notching their third try.

Sam Coghlan Murray came back to haunt former club UCD as he scored two tries in a 31-26 comeback victory for Terenure College at Belfield. 'Nure were staring at defeat when trailing 26-7 at half-time - UCD registered their bonus point just past the half hour mark.

The students hit the front with winger Steven Kilgallen's third-minute try. The scoreboard showed 14-0 after 13 minutes, as the hosts' maul continued to cause problems for Terenure and Liam Hyland scored under the posts. UCD kept the pressure on and space opened up for captain Jamie Glynn to grab try number three, with Harry Byrne converting. Coghlan Murray lifted Terenure with a try and James Thornton converted. However, UCD's lineout drives kept gaining yards and winning penalties, the end-product being lock Brian Cawley's bonus-point score.

Harrison Brewer's sin-binning, coupled with a lineout steal when they were poised to strike, prevented 'Nure from responding before the break, but they turned the tables in the second half.

James Blaney's men forced a penalty try and Coghlan Murray cut through to complete his brace, whittling UCD's lead down to 26-21. Terenure seized the initiative as a maul set up out-half Mark O'Neill for the final try. Thornton converted and sealed a five-point success with a last-minute penalty.

Who is your sportstar of the year?

Vote in the Irish Independent Sport Star Awards and you could win the ultimate sports prize.

Prizes include, a trip to Old Trafford to watch Man United take on Liverpool in the Premier League, tickets to Ireland's home games in the Six Nations, All Ireland football and hurling final tickets and much more.

Simply click here to register your vote

Sunday Indo Sport

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport