Pat Lam denies link between Mils Muliaina Connacht exit and arrest
Connacht head coach Pat Lam has categorically denied that Mils Muliaina's recent arrest had anything to do with his departure from the squad.
The All Black centurion denies any wrongdoing after being questioned over an alleged sexual assault in Cardiff last month and was released from custody on bail without charge after he "cooperated fully" with South Wales police.
The province earlier confirmed that the New Zealander would miss between two and three weeks of action as a result of adductor strain he suffered during the first half of Friday night's defeat to Gloucester.
Muliaina will join Zebre at the end of the season, but speaking at press briefing ahead of Connacht’s next Pro 12 fixture against Ulster, Lam denied there was a link between the arrest and his departure from the Sportsground.
"No link at all," he assured the media, while also stating he believes the decorated player will feature before the end of the season.
"He has joined our return-to-play group, and I am hoping he will be available again [before the end of the season], but again he has to go through that like all the others in the long injury list we have.”
Speaking to Radio New Zealand over the weekend, agent Simon Porter said his client was co-operating with police in their investigations.
"He denies any allegations of wrong doing. He's going to ride out this process and clear his name."
Mr Porter told RNZ that Muliaina was also worried about how the allegation would impact those who were close to him.
Connacht confirmed yesterday that the former All Black returned to Galway on Sunday having "cooperated fully" with police investigations.