Monday 25 June 2018

Belgium BEL 5

Tunisia TUN 2


South Korea KOR 1

Mexico MEX 2


Germany GER 2

Sweden SWE 1


England ENG 6

Panama PAN 1


Japan JPN 2

Senegal SEN 2


Poland POL 0

Colombia COL 3


Saudi Arabia SAU

Egypt EGY

Uruguay URY

Russia RUS

Spain ESP

Morocco MAR

Iran IRN

Portugal POR

Denmark DNK

France FRA

Australia AUS

Peru PER

Iceland ISL

Croatia CRO

Nigeria NGA

Argentina ARG

Mexico MEX

Sweden SWE

South Korea KOR

Germany GER

Switzerland SUI

Costa Rica CRI

Serbia SRB

Brazil BRA

Senegal SEN

Colombia COL

Japan JPN

Poland POL

Panama PAN

Tunisia TUN

England ENG

Belgium BEL

Connacht rugby team involved in 'full emergency' as their plane diverts to Belfast

Flybe flight carrying the Connacht team was forced to make an emergency landing
Flybe flight carrying the Connacht team was forced to make an emergency landing

A plane carrying the Connacht rugby team has been forced to make an emergency landing in Belfast airport after a technical problem with the aircraft resulted in 'a full emergency'.

The Flybe flight from Birmingham departed at 10.20am, as the team made their way back to Ireland following Saturday's 24-24 Challenge Cup draw against Worcester.

Yet it was forced to divert from it's path towards Knock and landed in Belfast, with the airport spokesperson issuing this statement:

"Flybe flight en route from Birmingham to Knock declared a full emergency and diverted to Belfast International due to a technical problem," read the statement. "Full emergency procedures were activated and it landed safely. The passengers are being transported to Knock by bus."

In a statement, a spokesperson for the airline said: "Flybe can confirm that the captain of the above flight took the recommended action following a suspected technical fault during the above flight from Birmingham to Ireland West Airport Knock and, as an additional precautionary measure, elected to divert to Belfast International where the aircraft landed safely without incident.

"As is usual in such circumstances, the airport put its emergency vehicles on standby. All 62 passengers disembarked as normal when the aircraft arrived on stand following which they were transported by road to their destination.

"The safety of its passengers and crew is the airline’s number one priority and Flybe sincerely apologises for any inconvenience experienced."

Connacht's Bundee Aki confirmed they had diverted in Belfast and thanked the pilot for the safe landing, but did not seem impressed the prospect of a long coach journey back to their base as he tweeted: "Yay 5 hour bus drive."

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport