Mallon to get bail but Hickey still locked up
THG man's release delayed by tag row
An Irishman held over alleged ticket touting at the Rio Olympics was due to be released from preventive custody despite an ankle tag dispute between the police and the company who supply them.
The Superior Court of Justice (STJ) in Brazil had earlier granted an injunction authorising the release of Kevin Mallon, from Drimnagh as long as he wears an electronic tag.
He has been held in Brazil's largest prison, Bangu, since August 5, but a pay row between the police and the company who supply electronic tags delayed his release.
Mr Mallon has been accused of ticket touting at the Olympics after 823 tickets - a large proportion of which were issued to the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI) - were discovered in his hotel room on the day of the opening ceremony.
In a statement the Brazilian prison service (SEAP) had told the Sunday Independent they were "struggling to pay and comply with the commitments with the suppliers and re-establish the supply of the tags."
However, shortly after 4pm yesterday, solicitor Franklin Gomez and his team confirmed to the Sunday Independent that a judge has waived a condition that stipulated he had to wear the tag.
Mr Gomez said: "He will be out tonight but it will be very, very late."
He added that his client was "disappointed by the delay", saying: "I spoke to him tonight. He is disappointed by the delay because he thought he was being released when we arrived with the paperwork earlier. It's frustrating for him but we are confident he will be freed."
A spokesperson for the Brazilian prison service confirmed that they are waiting for the order to arrive from the courts.
He said: "We are waiting for this document from the STJ that will release him. I don't know whether this will give him permission to go home. It depends what it says on the document."
However, OCI president Pat Hickey still remains in custody despite intensified efforts to have him released.
On August 10, the Brazilian Supreme Court denied a habeas corpus appeal by Mr Mallon. This decision was reviewed by the Minister. A number of conditions are listed on the order expected to grant Mr Mallon's release. He has been ordered to attend a natural judgement tomorrow and periodically after that.
He has been banned from accessing or attending premises connected to the Brazilian or International Olympic Committees for the period of the Paralympic Games, as well as being banned from attending any of the stadiums or facilities where he would encounter the games organisers mentioned.
He has also been banned from attending the opening and closing ceremonies of the games, and must observe an 8pm curfew each night, while his passport will remain with the authorities.
A statement from Mr Mallon's company, THG, confirmed the pending release, saying: "Following intensive efforts by our lawyers in Brazil, THG welcomes the news that our colleague, Kevin Mallon, is shortly to be released from preventative detention in Rio.
"In line with our previous statements on this matter, THG has welcomed the public inquiry in Ireland into these matters and believes that the company and its executives will be vindicated when all of the evidence is reviewed".
Irish Independent Sport Star Awards
Pick our magic sports moment of the year and win a trip for two to London. To view the shortlist and cast your vote click here.