Saturday 16 December 2017

Video: Dereck Chisora should get lengthy ban says Paul Butlin, whose ear was bitten by disgraced boxer in 2009 fight

Ashamed: Dereck Chisora has apologised for his behaviour in Munich. Photo: Getty Images
Ashamed: Dereck Chisora has apologised for his behaviour in Munich. Photo: Getty Images
Getty Images
Landind a right-hander: David Haye strikes Dereck Chisora in the chest during their brawl
British boxer Dereck Chisora arrives back at Heathrow Airport in London following his WBC Heavyweight Title fight with Vitali Klitschko. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Sunday February 19, 2012. Chisora has been freed without charge by Munich police following a bloody brawl with rival UK fighter David Haye. Haye's whereabouts remain unknown and he is still wanted for questioning. Chisora last night lost to Ukrainian Vitali Klitschko on a points decision in a heavyweight title fight, and the fracas happened at the post-bout press conferenceSee PA story POLICE Boxing. Photo credit should read: Steve Parsons/PA Wire

Gareth A Davies

PAUL Butlin, whose ear Dereck Chisora took a bite of during a fight between he pair in 2009, believes the disgraced heavyweight, who brawled with David Haye in Munich last weekend, should be handed a lengthy ban from the sport.

The incident originally led to Chisora receiving a £2,500 fine and a four month ban after TV pictures revealed Chisora copying Mike Tyson's infamous attack on Evander Hollyfield.

Chisora is facing a possible lifetime ban from the sport after the ugly scenes with Haye following his WBC heavyweight title defeat by Vitali Klitschko on Saturday.

And Butlin has joined the calls for the British Boxing Board to cancel the 28-year-old's fighting licence.

"The Board have to do something. If they don't come down hard on him there will be more and more problems because boxers will think it's OK to behave like that," Butlin said.

"They have to ban him for a couple of years at least.

"They banned him for four months for biting me and his behaviour keeps getting worse. He hasn't learned his lesson and they can't let him off lightly again.

"He never apologised for biting my ear, then went in the papers saying he did it because he was bored and if we boxed again he would bite my ear off.

"I've met a lot of good people in boxing but Chisora has always had an attitude. He butted me the first time we boxed, then bit me in the rematch.

"I've got my own gym and train kids. The danger is they will think this behaviour is acceptable. Feuds are good for boxing but Chisora and Haye went too far."

Meanwhile, Chisora has apologised "wholeheartedly" for brawling with David Haye in Munich but has had £70,000 withheld from his purse on the request of the World Boxing Council as he battles to save his career.

Haye, the target of a police investigation in Germany, also broke his silence after fleeing Munich in the early hours of Sunday. There was regret, but no apology, from the former heavyweight champion.

Haye said in a statement he “would happily assist the German boxing authorities” in their inquiries, while laying the blame for the fracas at the post-fight press conference firmly with Chisora, who, he said, “caused a serious disturbance to occur”.

Munich police will have to seek permission in court to bring Haye to Germany for questioning, which could require the involvement of Scotland Yard. That process could take “days or weeks”, a Munich police spokesman confirmed.

Assault and grievous bodily harm in Germany could carry a sentence of up to 10 years. Gottfried Schlicht, of Munich police, admits detectives are at an impasse until Haye is located.

“Until we speak to Haye, nothing more can happen,” he said. “We’ve heard Dereck Chisora and now we wait to hear David Haye.”

Chisora was interviewed for seven hours by German police on Sunday after being detained at Munich airport. He was released without charge.

Wolfgang Wenger, another Munich police spokesman, said: “From what we can see in the videos, and of course there may also be other evidence, it seems to be a case of assault, as well as suspicion of grievous bodily harm, because perhaps a bottle or tripod was also used to hit someone.”

Chisora has been called to a British Boxing Board misconduct hearing on March 14 where he will face disciplinary action from stewards of the British Boxing Board of Control with regard to his behaviour “prior, during and after his contest” in the WBC heavyweight championship defeat against Vitali Klitschko on Saturday night.

Those actions include slapping Klitschko’s face at the weigh-in, spitting water into the face of his brother, Wladimir, in the ring, and brawling with Haye after the world title fight.

Chisora said on Monday night: “I have let my family, my team and worst of all the sport I love down. I acknowledge that my actions were totally unprofessional, with or without provocation.

"I feel I must wholeheartedly apologise for my part in the regrettable scenes both before and after what was to be the biggest night of my career.” Chisora maintained his claim that he was “struck by a bottle”.

Haye, meanwhile, blamed Chisora for the incident in his statement.

“Chisora walked towards me, entourage in tow, in an aggressive manner. I held my ground, but, unfortunately, he caused a serious disturbance to occur, something which threatened to damage the reputation of the sport we both love.

“I realise I am no angel - and don’t mind a bit of professional trash-talk to help raise boxing’s profile - but, during my 21 years in the sport, I have never been involved in, or even witnessed, such a serious fracas.

“If requested, I shall happily assist the boxing authorities with any investigation they wish to launch. I also hope Dereck Chisora is able to learn from his mistakes this past weekend, right the wrongs and then go on to fulfil his potential in the boxing ring.”

Haye explained that, in light of the threats from Chisora that he would “shoot” and “burn” the British boxer, he had decided with his manager, Adam Booth, to leave Munich soon after the punch-up.

“I heard Chisora say he planned to ‘shoot me dead’. I decided to leave the venue and return to my hotel, a move which I hoped would diffuse the situation.

“However, Chisora’s team were staying at the same hotel as me and, in light of the threats Chisora had made in front of the world’s media, it seemed far more appropriate for me and Adam [Booth] to leave the hotel as quickly as possible. Consequently, I left Munich on an earlier flight on Sunday.”

Asked if the fracas had been staged, Booth, who sustained a cut to his head in the punch-up, said on Monday: “No one sent me the memo.”

Robert Smith, secretary of the BBBC, insisted that the case was being treated “with the utmost seriousness”, the Board having stated on Monday that they have no jurisdiction over Haye, as the former world heavyweight champion does not hold a boxing licence.

“Chisora has been previously suspended for four months and was warned then that he would be severely dealt with if he came before the Board again,” Smith said.

The WBC requested that $100,000 (£70,000) be withheld from Chisora’s purse from the fight with Klitschko, a third of what the British challenger is understood to have earned.

The unsavoury event has not stopped Klitschko from ruling out a future title fight with Haye. “A fight with David Haye is very interesting to me,” he said.

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport