| 7.3°C Dublin

US Open: Murray hits groove as frustrated Roddick blows fuse

After waiting three days to complete his fourth-round match, Andy Murray was clearly in no mood to hang around at the US Open in Flushing Meadows yesterday.

The Scot (24) gave himself the best possible chance of dealing with the workload ahead of him when he brushed Donald Young aside in less than two hours. Murray won 6-2 6-3 6-3 to earn a place in today's quarter-finals against another American John Isner, who won his fourth-round match with Gilles Simon 7-6 3-6 7-6 7-6 .

Young had beaten Murray in their only previous meeting, in Indian Wells in March during the Scot's post-Australian Open slump, but on this occasion, the 22-year-old American was outclassed. While the world No 84 misfired for most of the match -- he made 53 unforced errors to Murray's 17 -- his opponent played solidly. The only area of Murray's game which looked in need of some work was his serve.

The world No 4 was broken three times and put only 47pc of his first serves in court.

After two rain-soaked days in which barely a quarter of an hour's play had been possible, the skies cleared, the sun was shining. Tournament organisers might have thought the worst was over but they suffered further embarrassment yesterday when play had to be stopped on their second show court because of a problem with the playing surface.

Andy Roddick and David Ferrer had played only two games after resuming in Louis Armstrong Stadium when water started seeping through the surface behind one of the baselines.

The water table is not far below ground level here at the aptly-named Flushing Meadows and it appeared that the warm air was drawing water up through the surface.

With Roddick leading 4-2, the players left the court as attempts were made to repair the damage. In farcical scenes Brian Earley, the tournament referee, tried to soak up the water with a towel and even a vacuum cleaner was used. Roddick, unhappy that the problem had not been identified earlier, told Earley: "I'm really starting to get piss**ed off. How hard is it not to see water?"

After more than an hour, the players returned. But within moments of the players warming up again Roddick noticed more water on the court and they walked off for a second time. Roddick became involved in another tense exchange with Earley.

The decision was then made to switch from Louis Armstrong Stadium, which has a capacity of 10,000, to Court 13, which has no Hawk-Eye video replay facilities and seating for just 584 spectators, who saw Roddick win 6-3 6-4 3-6 6-3 to face a quarter-final with Rafael Nadal.

It was announced last night that the singles finals will be moved to Monday for the fourth consecutive year.(© Independent News Service)

US Open,

Live, Sky Sports 3, 5.0

Irish Independent