Oscar Pistorius staying in South Africa, despite lifting of travel restrictions, says uncle
OSCAR PISTORIUS' uncle has cast doubt on the prospect of the Paralympian competing at this summer's World Championships by insisting his nephew has "no intention" of travelling overseas as he awaits trial for killing his girlfriend.
Arnold Pistorius says the 26-year-old is still heavily reliant on the support of his family as he comes to terms with the events that saw him fatally shoot his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day after apparently mistaking her for an intruder.
After being granted bail last month, Pistorius' legal team were back in court yesterday to challenge some of the conditions of his release.
During the hearing, travel restrictions placed on Pistorius were lifted, meaning he is now free to travel abroad for competitions.
The announcement gave way to immediate speculation that Pistorius could return to the track at the World Championships in Moscow this August.
Athletics' world governing body the IAAF was swift to give a tentative green light to such a prospect by stating that Pistorius would be regarded as "innocent until proven guilty" and "free to run" were he to achieve the qualifying standard.
But Arnold Pistorius indicated that thoughts of a comeback were far from uppermost in the mind of his nephew, who is likely to stand trial before the end of the year and is next due in court on June 4.
"We know Oscar cannot go anywhere in the world because everybody will recognise him. He doesn't want to go anywhere and he doesn't want to go into public life because he's not ready - he's absolutely not ready to do that," Arnold Pistorius said.