Tuesday 24 April 2018

Murphy third in Olympic time

SWIMMING: Grainne Murphy achieved Olympic 'A' standard time for the 800m Freestyle when finishing third at the Dutch Open Championships in Eindhoven yesterday.

The Wexford swimmer finished in 8:31.14, over two seconds inside the 'A' standard. The race was won by Spain's Mireia Belmonte Garcia in 8:22.78.

"This is a great early season swim for Grainne," Murphy's coach Ronald Claes said.

"It was her first competitive outing since the disappointment of the World Championships last summer and it is an added bonus to have achieved the 'A' standard."

In other notable Irish performances, Aisling Cooney finished seventh in the final of the 50m Backstroke while Melanie Nocher achieved 2:00.49 in the 200m freestyle, just two seconds outside the 'A' standard.

* * * * *

RUGBY: Dolphin won 20-13 to secure a vital four points from the bottom-of-the-table clash with reigning champions Old Belvedere in a tentative Ulster Bank Division 1A clash at Anglesea Road yesterday.

Belvo opened the scoring against the run of play when Peter Woods touched down after eight minutes for a score that was converted with ease by out-half Andy Dunne.

Dunne kicked a 30-metre penalty 10 minutes later, but Dolphin broke through a stern Belvo rearguard to register their first try courtesy of flanker Quill on 22 minutes. Barry Keeshan converted to bring the sides level.

Dunne restored Belvo's three-point lead soon after, but another close-range Keeshan penalty left it 13-13 heading into the second half. Dolphin secured vicctory on 58 minutes when prop Condon crossed for a converted try.

* * * * *

A dramatic converted try by Philip Brophy in second-half stoppage-time proved decisive as home side St Mary's College continued their good form with a narrow 22-20 victory over Clontarf.

St Mary's were on top early and their relentless pressure finally paid off when hooker Richard Sweeney crossed the line and out-half Gavin Dunne converted.

Their lead increased to 12 points when replacement Jack McGrath, got in for his side's second try.

Things were looking ominous for Clontarf but when No 8 Frank Cogan touched down after a fine move on 31 minutes, the try was converted by Richie Lane.

But a penalty from Dunne gave them Mary's a 15-7 mid-way advantage. Another place-kick from Lane cut into Mary's lead on 58 minutes and 'Tarf then took the lead for the first time three minutes later when Lane got a try of his own, which he also converted.

It looked like Clontarf had sealed victory when Lane registered his second penalty with two minutes remaining but Brophy had other ideas, his converted try giving St Mary's their fifth win of the campaign.

* * * * *

Young Munster remain on track for their second league title with a 23-16 away win at Cork Constitution.

Willie Staunton had the visitors 6-0 ahead with two early penalties, before Gerry Hurley opened Cork Con's account with a penalty after 15 minutes. Shane O'Neill scored a converted try for Munsters on the half-hour mark.

On the stroke of half-time Johnny Holland kicked a drop goal for Con but Staunton replied with a penalty to leave it 16-6 at the break.

Munsters were awarded a penalty try after Con were penalised for collapsing the scrum and Staunton again converted on 53 minutes.

Hurley kicked a second penalty for Con and a try three minutes from time by Niall O'Driscoll converted by Hurley saw the home side earn a losing bonus point.

* * * * *

Three first-half tries paved the way for victory for Lansdowne by 22-16 over Shannon at Coonagh yesterday.

Shannon looked to have snatched a losing bonus point when Paddy Butler crashed over for a try six minutes from the end. Craig Ronaldson scored a late penalty for the home side.

* * * * *

Having lost their three previous home games, Garryowen ended their losing sequence when they beat Blackrock 20-13 at Dooradoyle.

Darragh Fitzpatrick put the visitors in front with a penalty which was negated by Declan Cusack, but a penalty by Rob Keogh had 'Rock 6-3 in front at the interval.

Cian Culleton had a 44th-minute try for Blackrock converted by Keogh, but Garryowen came storming back with tries by Conor Hartigan on 48 minutes and Paul Neville, 18 minutes later. Fergal Walshe clinched the win with a late penalty.

* * * * *

Shane Williams admitted his last-gasp try against Australia had been a dream end to his international career, but was left with mixed emotions as Wales lost 24-18 at the Millennium Stadium in his 87th and final Test.

The winger extended his Welsh try-scoring record to 58 when he weaved his way between Berrick Barnes and Digby Ioane to touch down in added time and send the crowd into rapture.

"I couldn't have scripted the last minute of that game any better but it would have been nice to have gone out in style and won the game," Williams said.

* * * * *

GOLF: Graeme McDowell had no answer to Lee Westwood's course-record 62 as the Englishman stormed into a seven-shot lead in the Nedbank Golf Challenge at the Sun City resort in South Africa.

Westwod's magnificent round featured 10 birdies to leave the World No 3 well on course to retain his title and claim a first prize of almost £800,000.

Second-placed McDowell now shares second spot with Sweden's Robert Karlsson on nine-under par, with American Jason Dufner and Germany's Martin Kaymer tied for fourth a shot further back ahead of today's final round.

* * * * *

HOCKEY: UCD's Shane O'Donoghue and Alan Sothern for Pembroke both notched hat-tricks in a free-scoring see-saw encounter at Belfield.

But it was the College side who carried the most thrust scoring three goals in as many minutes late in the second half to take full points.

Monkstown availed of Pembroke's defeat moving top of the table with a 6-1 win over bottom club Fingal.

While Corinthian likewise made light of their 6-2 win over the other joint bottom side Clontarf.

* * * * *

basketball: A disastrous third quarter from the hosts saw Star succumb to an agonising 80-79 defeat to Neptune in last night's men's Superleague cup clash in Belfast.

It began to go wrong for the Northerners in the third quarter with indiscipline seeing them concede four points off a technical.

And with American Ron Thompson's long reach helping Neptune score heavily on the inside, the visitor's had taken a 60-65 lead heading into the final period.

But with the Joshua Johnson turning in another solid display for Star, the home side had a one-point lead with two seconds to go before Neptune's Ian McLoughlin scored off a breakaway assist to secure a dramatic victory.

Elsewhere, a big second quarter from UL Eagles saw them depose champions UCD Marian on a 70-62 scoreline, while a 21-point return from Jermaine Turner saw Killester overcome Moycullen 83-69 at the IWA.

Sunday Indo Sport

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport