Wednesday 29 January 2020

Longford pay for rule mix-up

Limerick 1-8

Longford 0-9

While Limerick registered their third successive win in Division 4 of the Allianz National Football League, they were extremely fortunate to collect both valuable points as Longford had a goal disallowed in a highly controversial finish to this tight game at Pearse Park.

Deep into stoppage time, the home county were awarded a last-gasp free right in front of the posts and while the kick taken by Francis McGee was blocked down, the ball ended up in the back of the net with Seamus Hannon getting the vital touch in a frantic scramble.

Longford's joy at seemingly snatching their first victory of the season was quickly turned to despair as Westmeath referee Sean Carroll, having indicated to McGee that his free was the final kick in the fifth minute of additional time, clearly forgot about the current experimental rules which state that the final whistle can only be blown when the ball goes out of play.

Longford ended up with nothing after putting in a very determined effort to overcome the handicap of having a player sent off with 11 minutes gone in the second half as half-forward Danny Keenan received a straight red card.

The goal that did stand ended up winning the game for Limerick and that decisive score was fired home by midfielder Jim O'Donovan with just over three minutes gone in the game.

Scorers -- Limerick: I Ryan 0-5 (4f), J O'Donovan 1-0, J Ryan, G Collins and S Lavin 0-1, each. Longford: F McGee 0-6 (3f, 1 '45'), C Mimnagh, K Mulligan and K Smyth 0-1, each.

Longford: D Sheridan; S Mulligan, D Masterson, S Hannon; D Brady, E Williams, J Nally; K Smyth, G Dennigan; D Keenan, F McGee, K Mulligan; D Reilly, B Kavanagh, C Mimnagh. Subs: N Farrell for J Nally (50), P Kelly for G Dennigan (54), D Morgan for C Mimnagh (64).

Limerick: C Ranahan; M O'Riordan, C Mullane, A Lane; S Lavin, J McCarthy, P Ranahan; J O'Donovan, J Galvin; P Browne, J Ryan, J Mullane; G Collins, I Ryan, C Joyce-Power. Subs: R Hayes for J Galvin (h-t), S Gallagher for C Mullane (h-t), G Noonan for C Joyce-Power (h-t), P Corrigan for J Mullane (59).

Referee: S Carroll (Westmeath).

Wicklow 4-13

London 1-5

Seanie Furlong hit a hat-trick at Ruislip yesterday as Wicklow registered their second win on the bounce.

London should have had a goal of their own inside the first minute when Wicklow goalkeeper Mervyn Travers fumbled a high ball into the path of Killian Phair, but the Cavan native rattled the crossbar when it seemed easier to score.

The Exiles were made pay for that miss as Wicklow took control of proceedings, the visitors winning the majority of breaking ball around the middle third and launching wave after wave of attacks.

Leading 1-8 to 0-3 at half-time, Wicklow were home and hosed when Furlong added a quick-fire brace of maximums. London hit back with a well-worked Johnny Hughes goal but Wicklow mustered a quick response, substitute Darren Hayden finding the net after a lung-bursting run from corner-back Ciaran Hyland.

Scorers -- Wicklow: S Furlong 3-2 (1f), T Hannon 0-4 (2f), D Hayden 1-0, P McWalter, R Finn 0-2 each, L Glynn, J Stafford, P Cunningham 0-1 each.

London: J Hughes 1-0, C McAllion, K Phair (2f) 0-2 each, D Horan 0-1.

Wicklow: M Travers; C Hyland, S Kelly, A Byrne; P McWalter, B McGrath, S Canavan; J Stafford, JP Dalton; P Dalton, T Hannon, R Finn; S Furlong, L Glynn, P Earls. Subs: D Hayden for Earls (19), P Cunningham for P Dalton (h-t), N Gaffney for Finn (60), C Jones for Glynn (66).

London: E Byrne; D Egan, B Comer, D McBride; J Hughes, C Beirne, K O'Leary; P Geraghty, E O Cuiv; C McAllion, J McCormick, A Fitzgerald; N Egan, D Horan, K Phair. Sub: D Hagan for Egan (40), N Tuohy for Egan (55), C Conneely for McBride (60), O Coffey for Phair (66).

Referee: S McNamee (Tyrone)



Leitrim registered their first points of the League with a facile victory over Kilkenny at Pairc Sean Mhic Diarmada yesterday.

The outcome was never in doubt from early on as Leitrim took advantage of a poor Kilkenny defence to lead 2-10 to 0-3 at the interval, both Leitrim goals coming from Declan Gilhooly in the seventh and 29th minute.

A third Leitrim goal by Colin Regan immediately on the resumption was followed by four points without reply and a fourth goal by James Glancy in the 52nd minute reflected the home side's dominance in all sectors of the field.

Scorers -- Leitrim: D Gilhooly 2-1, J Glancy 1-2, C Regan 1-1, E Mulligan 0-6 (3f), M Foley 0-3, C Farrell 0-2 (2f), P McGuinness, C Richardson, D Sweeney 0-1 each. Kilkenny: P Donnelly 1-0, G Lalor 0-2 (1f),P Raftice, M Saunders0-1 each

Leitrim: G Phelan; D Reynolds, J McKeon, P Maguire; J Glancy (St Mary's), G Reynolds, S Foley; T Beirne, C Farrell; P McGuinness, M Foley, C Regan; E Mulligan, J Glancy, D Gilhooly. Subs: D Sweeney for C Farrell, C Farrell for D Sweeney, W McKeon for J Glancy (St Mary's), B Gallagher for G Reynolds, C Maguire for P McGuinness, R Mulvey for C Regan, C Richardson for T Beirne.

Kilkenny: JJ O'Sullivan; M Cody, R O'Hara, A Mackey; JJ Grace, J Malone, P Raftice; M Farrell, J Culliton; E Verker, S Mahony, JJ Dunphy; M Saunders, P Donnelly, G Lalor. Subs: M Gannon for E Verker, J Sheahan for R O'Hara, R O'Hara for J Culliton, P Barron for M Gannon, P Grace for M Saunders.

Referee: G McCarron (Monaghan).

Carlow 1-11

Waterford 1-11

VISITORS Waterford finished with 13 men and Carlow with 14 as the counties shared the NFL Division 4 tie at Dr Cullen Park in which Dublin referee Brian O'Shea flashed a total of 10 yellow cards as well as the three red.

After an undistinguished first half, the sides were tied at 0-7 apiece, in a free-ridden game in which referee O'Shea certainly applied the letter of the law. Carlow raced 1-9 to 0-7 ahead early in the second half through a brace of Eric McCormack points, supplemented by a goal from a penalty in the 41st minute from substitute John Murphy.

But Waterford substitute Liam O Lionain brought the Deise right back into the game with a well-struck goal in a crowded goalmouth on 44 minutes. With the sides deadlocked on 1-11 each, Waterford right-half-back Tony Grey was given a straight red, just before McCormack's free from near the right sideline drifted wide, ensuring a division of the spoils.

Scorers -- Carlow: E McCormack 0-7, (4f), J Murphy 1-0 (pen), M Carpenter 0-2, B Murphy, J J Smith (0-1f) O-1 each. Waterford: M Donnelly 0-4 (2f), L O Lionain 1-1, R Aherne 0-3, S Cunningham 0-2, T Grey 0-1.

Carlow: J Clarke; P Murphy, L Murphy, T Bolger; A Curran, J Hayden, B Kavanagh; B Murphy, S Redmond; W Minchin, S Rea, S Gannon; E McCormack, M Carpenter, J J Smith. Subs: J Murphy for L Murphy (h-t), D St Ledger for (h-t), K Nolan for P Murphy (50), M Nolan for Kavanagh (59), S Myers for Bolger (67). Waterford: T Wall; J Walsh, T O'Gorman, C Phelan; T Grey, S Briggs, M O'Gorman; M Aherne, E Walsh; M Donnelly, C McGrath, B Wall; W Hennessy, R Aherne, T Prendergast. Subs: L O Lionain for Wall (h-t), S Cunningham for Walsh (41), N Hennessy for Phelan


Referee: B O'Shea (Dublin).

Sunday Independent

The Left Wing: Ireland's Six Nations target, a French revival and Ian Madigan's future

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport