Tuesday 12 December 2017

In brief: Twomey on song with Flamenco


Billy Twomey recorded one of the biggest victories of his career when scooping the €92,000 winner's purse at the second leg of the Global Champions Tour (GCT) in Valencia, Spain. Riding Sue Davies' stallion, Je T'Aime Flamenco, the 34-year-old Corkman left a trail of champions in his wake.

Fifth place, and a relatively modest €16,000, went to Denis Lynch, who missed out on the four-horse jump-off by picking up a single time fault with Abbervail van het Dingeshof.


Alessandro Petacchi won a mass sprint to take the second stage of the Giro d'Italia, with Mark Cavendish finishing second to take the overall lead.

The Lampre rider finished the longest stage of the Giro in five hours, 45 minutes and 40 seconds after completing a 244km (151-mile) ride from Alba to Parma.

Tour de France champion Alberto Contador finished in the main pack, placing 29th in the same time.

Cavendish took over the pink jersey from his HTC-Highroad team-mate Marco Pinotto, who won the first stage.

Ireland's Philip Deignan was part of the sprint, finishing the stage in 161st spot, to lie 13th overall, 22 seconds behind the leader.


Tim McNulty and Paul Kiely kept their unbeaten record in this year's Dunlop National Rally Championship by making it three wins out of three in Carlow yesterday.

Their Impreza finished the Mount Wolseley stages rally 45 seconds clear of nearest challengers Robert Barrable and Damien Connolly in their Skoda.

Waterford's Craig Breen suffered from a catalogue of problems in the second round of the FIA World Championship Academy, the Rally of Italy in Sardinia.

The Irishman was the early leader, but a damaged sump put his Fiesta out on the opening day. He was able to rejoin on day two, but suspension damage cost him more than three minutes and he finally took seventh place.


Instonians retained their Irish Hockey League status as they defeated Bandon in the play-offs at Garryduff yesterday.

With two of the three competing teams making the grade from the weekend event, Three Rock Rovers had qualification in the bag by Saturday.

However, Bandon, attempting to make the cut for the fourth year in succession were still very much in the hunt going into yesterday's game.

The Munster side were only one down at half-time but the Belfast men eased themselves beyond reach with two more goals in the final quarter.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport