Wednesday 13 December 2017

In brief: Murphy hits his Olympics mark

BARRY Murphy is well on his way to securing his place at the London Olympics following a stunning performance at the long course Indianapolis Grand Prix.

In the early hours of yesterday morning the Dubliner clocked the second fastest time in the world this year, 1:00.77, to win the 100m breaststroke final and qualify for the World Championships in Shanghai this summer.

The time is also inside the qualifying mark for next year's Olympics and saw the 25-year-old defeat American record holder Eric Shanteau as well as double Olympic champion Kosuke Kitajima.

Irish hopes of success in the Spanish Men's Open Amateur Championship in Barcelona were quickly dashed yesterday.

The El Prat course was not a happy hunting ground for Alan Dunbar or Paul Dunne, who were both bundled out in the first match-play round.

Dunbar, from Rathmore, was outgunned by Spaniard Adrian Otaegui and went down by 3&2 -- and Otaegui later went on to reach the quarter-finals.

Paul Dunne from Greystones battled hard against Goncalo Pinto and was ahead briefly, but eventually succumbed on the home green.

FORMER Irish Elite champion Carl Frampton wants a duel with Bernard Dunne's conqueror Kiko Martinez.

The Belfast super bantamweight, who beat David Oliver Joyce in the 2009 Elite final before turning pro with Barry McGuigan, will have his ninth outing in Huddersfield tonight.

Frampton (24) was originally slated to meet Alex Vladimirov, but the Bulgarian has pulled out and has been replaced by Venezuelan Oscar Chacin. Both men will trade leather over eight rounds on the Gary Sykes-Carl Johanneson undercard at The Leisure centre in Yorkshire.

World No 1 Rafa Nadal had an easy ride on his return from injury when he dismissed Ruben Bemelmans 6-2 6-4 6-2 to give Spain a 2-0 lead in their Davis Cup first round match against Belgium.

Nadal dealt with the 144th-ranked Bemelmans in less than two hours in his first match since he damaged a muscle in his right leg during the Australian Open.

The Republic Of Ireland got their defence of Centenary Shield off to a satisfactory start when they drew 2-2 with Wales in the first international game ever played at the Killarney Celtic Grounds.

Wales went in front in the opening minute when Daniel Gibbon powered a header to the roof of the net.

Ireland levelled through Garbhan Coughlan on 23 minutes, before hitting the front on the half-hour mark, Coughlan beating the offside trap to fire home. Wales struck back after the break when Gethin Maxwell rifled the ball home from outside the box to seal the draw.

Details in factfile

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport