Monday 18 November 2019

In brief: Law catches up with Greek pair


It has taken the best part of seven years -- virtually the span of two Olympiads -- but the law has finally caught up with Kostas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou.

A court in Athens yesterday found the retired sprinters guilty of making false statements about an alleged motorcycle accident they had cited as the reason for missing drugs tests on the eve of the 2004 Olympics in the Greek capital. They could have been jailed for up to four years, but received suspended sentences of 31 months.

Kenteris, who emerged from obscurity to win the Olympic 200m title in 2000, and Thanou, who took the women's 100m silver medal behind Marion Jones at those Sydney Games, were both suspended on the eve of their home Olympics after they went AWOL when an International Olympic Committee anti-doping team turned up to test them.

They spent five days secluded in a hospital in Athens, claiming to have been victims of a motorbike accident. It was the third drugs test the pair had missed in 17 days.


Katie Taylor will fly out to Germany tomorrow to join up with Ken Egan and Paddy Barnes and the rest of the Irish Elite squad at their training camp in Frankfurt.

The Wicklow woman was slated to meet Sweden's Helena Falk at Ardmore Studios in her hometown of Bray tonight. But Falk has withdrawn from that clash after picking up an illness and Taylor will not be making an appearance there.

Taylor, the world at European champion, will be targeting her fourth EU title on the trot in Poland later this month. The 24-year-old was due to link up with the Irish squad yesterday but all flights from Ireland to Germany were booked out because of the Eurovision.

"The only flight we could get to Germany this week was on Thursday," said Taylor's coach and dad Peter, who added that Katie would not be boxing competitively in Germany.

Irish Independent

The Left Wing: Champions Cup preview, the World Cup hangover and Joe Schmidt's next team

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport