Sunday 21 January 2018

In brief: Antix extends Ireland's lead


Steadily fresh winds on the English Channel were proving favourable for the Irish squad of three boats in the Rolex Commodores' Cup yesterday as the 30-boat fleet started into the 36-hour offshore race.

On provisional standings released last night, Anthony O'Leary's Antix, with Dave Dwyer's and Rob Davies' Roxy 6, have managed to extend the team's overall lead by three points.

But France Blue was also performing well, while the Hong Kong team also posed a threat.

Poor visibility may have led to local entry Artemis going aground on the Bembridge Ledge and the GBR Black team boat retired to check for damage. Cracklin' Rosie, also from GBR Black, retired after tearing all their spinnakers -- essential on this 180-mile course that is expected to finish by early afternoon today.

Racing continues tomorrow with one long inshore course, while Friday's Round the Island race has a weighting advantage. Saturday's finale counts for double points and, even with half the points for the entire event decided after today's race finish, high stakes remain.


IRISH duo Louk Sorensen and John Morrissey both pulled off tremendous upsets yesterday.

World No 266 Sorensen dumped out the No 2 seed, 125-ranked Federico Del Bonis, 7-5 6-3 in the first round of the ATP Challenger Tour event in Salvador, Brazil. Today, Sorensen faces Britain's 245-ranked Jamie Baker.

And unseeded Morrissey scored a 6-3 7-6 (7/4) win over No 5 seed Duilio Peretta in the second round of the inaugural Youth Olympic Games in Singapore.


A killer blow with a minute to play spoilt Ireland chances of a Youth Olympic Games result against New Zealand as the Kiwis snatched a 3-2 victory.

A storm delayed the start and Ireland began poorly in Singapore, with Rhiannon Dennison putting the Kiwis ahead in the seventh minute.

Ireland equalised on 23 minutes through Katie Mullan's fierce shot and they began to dominate, but spurned several good chances.

New Zealand restored their lead when Dennison's effort was deflected in on 64 minutes, but Ireland soon equalised from a cracker of a corner from Rebecca Barry.

Pressing for a winner, Ireland were stunned when the Kiwis broke and won a corner which Elley Miller converted with just a minute left.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport