Floyd Mayweather being sued for $20m by the mother of three of his children
Josie Harris is suing Floyd Mayweather Jr, her former boyfriend, for $20 million dollars after comments he made during an interview with Yahoo News’ Katie Couric in April last month
The interview was conducted as Mayweather was promoting his world title fight with Manny Pacquiao at the MCM Grand in Las Vegas which the American won on a unanimous points decision.
He claimed that the 2010 battery and harassment convictions involving Harris were actually the result of restraining “a women that was on drugs.”
“Did I kick, stomp and beat someone? No, that didn’t happen,” he said. “Did I restrain a woman that was on drugs? Yes, I did. So if they say that’s domestic violence, then, you know what? I’m guilty. I’m guilty of restraining someone.”
Harris, who has three children with Mayweather, filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles County on Tuesday, claiming defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
In her lawsuit, Harris denies being a drug abuser and her attorney said in the court filing: “It was not Mayweather's 'restraint' of Harris that caused her serious injuries, rather it was his beating of her.”
She also said she was treated for deep cuts and bruises at a hospital after the boxer came into her home as she slept on a couch and began punching, kicking and dragging her about the house in front their son, Koraun Mayweather.
Their son gave a detailed statement to police about the night of the attack.