Saturday 16 December 2017

Fernando Alonso reassures fans following horror smash

Fernando Alonso thanks the public for their support from his hospital bed.
Fernando Alonso thanks the public for their support from his hospital bed.

Phil Blanche

McLaren's Fernando Alonso has told fans that he is well after crashing heavily in testing last weekend - but no decision has been taken on whether the Spaniard will compete in the 2015 Formula One season-opener in Australia.

Alonso, who crashed his McLaren in pre-season testing at the Circuit de Catalunya, spent three nights under observation in hospital in Barcelona before being released on Wednesday to recover fully at home.

The 33-year-old spoke publicly for the first time since the accident in a video message posted on YouTube, saying: "As you can see, I am completely fine.

"I would like to be at the test this week in Barcelona but the doctors' recommendations are to wait a little bit, a couple of days.

"I will rest this weekend and keep you updated next week with progress."

Denmark's Kevin Magnussen replaced Alonso for the final pre-season test at the Circuit de Catalunya but McLaren expect the double world champion to take his place on the starting grid for the first Grand Prix of the season in Melbourne on March 15.

Rescue mission: Ambulance staff arrive on track to attend to Fernando Alonso Photo: GETTY IMAGES
Rescue mission: Ambulance staff arrive on track to attend to Fernando Alonso Photo: GETTY IMAGES
Medical staff holds sheets around Fernando Alonso of Spain and McLaren Honda as he is evacuated from the medical centre to the helicopter after crashing during the 2015 Formula One testing in Montmelo, Spain

"Alonso is physically well and I see no reason why Fernando can't be in Melbourne, but I'm not a doctor," Ron Dennis, chairman and chief executive of the McLaren Group, said earlier this week.

"Fernando wanted to return to testing (the car) but the doctors have told him that if he wanted to be certain, he needed to rest and have medical follow-ups."

"There will be some tests, there are processes laid down within the FIA, and I can't see any reason why he won't sail through."

Press Association

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport