| 3.7°C Dublin

Ferguson takes Longford prize

TYRONE driver Steven Ferguson increased his lead in the Hewison Trophy Autotest Championship by scoring his fourth win of the season in yesterday's Midland MC event in Longford.

At the halfway mark, three drivers were all within half a second, and at the finish, Ferguson had six-tenths advantage over Robin Lyons of Lisburn. Six-times champion Eddie Peterson narrowly led at half distance, but a five-second pylon penalty left him fourth at the end, behind local man Sam Johnston.

Alan Kilkenny scored his fifth win in the MEC Kilkenny Trophy Sporting Trial at Blessington, with a seven-mark lead over Christopher Evans after 12 muddy sections.

ROBIN Seymour captured his 17th Irish Cyclo-Cross Championship at Lurgan Park, Armagh yesterday.

From the off on the frosty course, the Team Worc rider went into the lead and was never headed for the seven-lap event. By the end of the first lap he had a minute lead and each subsequent lap added 20 seconds plus.

"It is great to have another Irish title to add to my CV," said Seymour, who also had reason for a further celebration with his Team Worc winning the team title.

In the Junior title, Martin Adair proved best and looks a future senior champion according to Seymour, who knows, at 39, he will not be around much longer.

DEFENDING champion Mark Selby crashed out of the Ladbrokes Mobile Masters in the first round at Wembley.

Selby raced into a 2-0 lead against Mark King before the left-hander hit back with a break of 139 on his way to a shock 6-4 victory. And King revealed it was what he perceived as a premature celebration from Selby which inspired his performance.

"Mark is a fantastic player and this is like his back yard, but he won the second frame and put his cue up and it gave me the hump a bit," King said. "He was pleased to win it on the black but I thought, 'hang on, you're only 2-0 up'."

King duly reeled off the next four frames in a row, only for Selby to battle back to level at 4-4 aided by a break of 106. But world No 16 King refused to lie down and won the next two frames.

Irish Independent