Kevin Pietersen turned down a four-month contract with England only hours before it was announced he would not be touring India this winter as both sides failed to find common ground, despite weeks of negotiations.
Pietersen's return to the fold was dependent on agreeing a set of conditions which included waiving his rights to any future legal action in disputes with the ECB, issuing another public apology for sending text messages to the South African side and pulling out at the last minute from a contract to provide studio analysis from the World Twenty20 for ESPN.
On Monday, Pietersen wrote to the ECB turning down the four-month contract, which came with no assurances for the future.
On a day when fresh details of the frenetic negotiations between Pietersen and the board emerged after weeks of silence, it was also learned that the ECB contacted him yesterday to open negotiations about a new 12-month central contract.
The talks are expected to continue while Pietersen is in Sri Lanka.
The England squad for India was chosen last week and the selectors were told by head coach Andy Flower not to consider Pietersen.
The squad announcement was delayed while Pietersen considered the offer of the four-month deal, which set out that he would not be part of the Test tour to India, but would attend England's training camp in Dubai at the end of October.
He was told the Dubai camp would provide a chance to begin the healing process with team-mates which clearly has a way to go.
A statement issued on Pietersen's behalf yesterday read: "Kevin is naturally disappointed about the decision having gone to great lengths to reach a reconciliation with the ECB."
Dubliner Eoin Morgan was recalled to the Test squad, named in the 16-man party to tour India.