Santa Cruz tells Frampton he will go to Belfast to finish their trilogy
World featherweight title-holder Leo Santa Cruz is insisting that he has no problem in accepting a showdown with Carl 'The Jackal' Frampton in Belfast.
His latest claims back up those of top promoter Richard Schaefer, who last week said that with the right money on the table the Mexican would be willing to complete his trilogy with Frampton next year. Schaefer also stated that "it has to happen in 2018".
But, Frampton's Cyclone Promotions team have expressed their disappointment that Santa Cruz had not backed up his previous statements about tangling with the 'Jackal' in Belfast following their bout in January, which the Mexican won on points.
WBA champion Santa Cruz, instead, has decided to make a voluntary defence and in October will clash for a second time with fellow Mexican Abner Mares in Los Angeles. Their first bout was hailed as a Fight of the Year contender in 2015.
Should he repeat his victory over Mares then Santa Cruz says he will be prepared to come to Belfast, with Windsor Park the obvious venue for a showdown with Frampton.
Not only will he demand the biggest purse of his career but there is also the issue of his father Jose being sorted out with a visa.
Santa Cruz said: "I would love to go over there but it is not just up to me. It is up to my team and my promoter and also my dad, who can't travel because he has no visa right now.
"We're going to fix that first, then I would love to go over there."
Santa Cruz admitted that he was shocked by events at the weekend in Belfast when Frampton first weighed in a pound over the 9st limit for his clash with Andres Gutierrez, which then had to be scrapped when the Mexican suffered injuries after a Friday night fall in his bathroom at the Culloden Hotel.
He commented: "I was surprised, moving up from 122lb to 126lb and him not making weight.
"If it had been me it would have to have been something big so I wouldn't make weight."
Frampton has said that he will address the issue of making weight and has been offered a shot at IBF world featherweight champion Lee Selby before Christmas.