Wednesday 17 October 2018

Paulie Malignaggi confirms he is in talks to fight Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor and (inset) Paulie Malignaggi
Conor McGregor and (inset) Paulie Malignaggi
A leaked photo from the McGregor camp showed Paul Malignaggi on the canvas

Paulie Malignaggi has confirmed that his team are in talks over a potential fight with Conor McGregor.

Two-time world champion Malignaggi was drafted into the McGregor camp for sparring sessions ahead of the Irishman's money-spinning bout with Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas earlier this year.

But Malignaggi ended up leaving the camp after a much-publicised falling out when footage showing McGregor knocking the American to the canvas was leaked.

The two continued a fierce war of words in the build up to the Mayweather fight with many suggesting it was an act to hype up a potential fight of their own.

That seems a real prospect now.

"I know Al Haymon's (Malignaggi's advisor) talking to Dana White," Malignaggi told FightHype.com. "I know they're speaking, so if they want the fight they'll make it.'

"Once I spoke to Al and Team Haymon, and they told me they wanted to make this fight, I knew that the only was this fight doesn't happen is if (Conor) had absolutely no balls."

Brooklyn fighter Malignaggi, 36, retired from boxing after losing to Britain's Sam Eggington in London in March but he says McGregor is the one fight he will come back for.

"This fight will pay him more, this fight will get him more exposure, this fight is a bigger fight than anybody else he has. There's no more Mayweather fight. This fight is the biggest fight there is.

"So once they told me that, I knew the only way this doesn't happen is if this guy has absolutely no balls. Which wouldn't surprise me because he has no balls. But the way they're going to present it to him, it's going to be presented in a way where he really shouldn't turn it down."

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport