Wednesday 15 August 2018

'I've said yes to fighting GGG' - Spike O'Sullivan confirms Gennady Golovkin negotiations

Gary O'Sullivan of Ireland
Gary O'Sullivan of Ireland

Cork's Gary 'Spike' O'Sullivan says he has agreed to fight Gennady Golovkin and is waiting on confirmation that his dream bout will go ahead.

Golovkin, who holds the WBC middleweight title as well as the WBA and IBF belts, was due a rematch against Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez in Las Vegas on May 5 following their draw late last year but the latter withdrew following two failed drugs tests.

It was revealed earlier this month that Canelo has tested positive on February 17 and 20 for the banned substance clenbuterol but he and his Golden Boy Promotions team have attributed to widespread meat contamination in his homeland.

But Canelo officially withdrew from the fight this week.

Cork's O'Sullivan has emerged as a serious contender to replace Canelo in Vegas on May 5.

"My job as a professional boxer is to say yes to fights and to make sure I'm ready for them. After that it goes to the people who negotiate deals to make the fights possible," said O'Sullivan via Twitter today.

"I've said yes to fighting GGG, I've been training nonstop since my last fight and now I'm waiting to see if it can be arranged, just like you. I trust my team to do what's right for me, one way or another.

"As soon as I know what's going on I will tell you. If I get the opportunity to go in against the best I won't let you down. I truly believe that it is my destiny to become the world champion."

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport