Monday 19 August 2019

David Haye's rematch with Tony Bellew postponed after former champion injures himself skipping

David Haye (left) takes on Tony Bellew during their first heavyweight contest at The O2 last year
David Haye (left) takes on Tony Bellew during their first heavyweight contest at The O2 last year

Declan Taylor

David Haye’s anticipated heavyweight rematch with Tony Bellew, set for 17 December, has been postponed.

The pair clashed at the O2 Arena in March when Bellew secured an 11th round stoppage against Haye, who had suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon in the sixth round.

But, after working his way back to full fitness, Londoner Haye had agreed a money-spinning pay-per-view return against Bellew at the same venue just eight days before Christmas.

However, it is understood that Haye has had to change those plans after picking up another injury, this time while skipping.

Promoter Matchroom Boxing has announced the fight will now be held on March 24 or May 5 next year, subject to scheduling.

The former world heavyweight champion famously twice pulled out of scheduled showdowns with fellow Brit Tyson Fury in 2013 and 2014.

First he was cut badly in sparring just days before the initial date and then had to pull out of the rearranged date entirely after sustaining a career-threatening shoulder injury.

And now Haye, 37, has had to pull out of another domestic grudge match with his showdown against Bellew less than a month away.

Earlier this month there were rumours, which appeared to originate in America, that Haye had been injured in training and would no longer be able to fight Bellew.

It appears that there was no substance to those initial suggestions, but Haye instead picked up a problem just days after insisting he was fit to fight on 17 December.

Before his victory back in March, Bellew had predicted that Haye's body would 'break down' on him either in camp or in the ring and he was proven right.

After a reasonably close opening six rounds, the bout swung wildly in Bellew's favour when Haye sustained what was clearly a serious injury to his foot.

He was officially floored twice before the bout was stopped by referee Phil Edwards after 2:16 of the 11th round.

Independent News Service

The Throw-In All-Ireland Hurling Final preview: Can Tipp's firepower edge clash with the Cats?

In association with Bord Gáis Energy

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport