Tuesday 17 July 2018

Conlan eyeing home pro bout

Michael Conlan. Photo: Sportsfile
Michael Conlan. Photo: Sportsfile

Bernard O'Neill

Michael Conlan is eyeing up his first pro fight in Ireland this summer after a demolition of David Berna at New York's Madison Square Garden on St Patrick's Day.

The Hungarian featherweight was down in the first and second rounds after lefts to the body and head and was taken into protective custody inside four minutes by ref Eddie Claudio with Conlan punishing his opponent on the ropes.

The win, Conlan's first under new coach Adam Booth, improves the two-time Irish Olympian to six straight victories and also improves his KO ratio to 83pc.

The first round body punch that dropped Berna, who had won 15 of his 17 fights prior to Saturday's scheduled eight-rounder, was textbook boxing.

"Once I turned to the southpaw stance I felt that shot was going to be a comfortable shot for me to land. It put him down, it looked like it sucked the life out of him so I was happy," said Belfast-born Conlan who won at the Garden last St Patrick's Day and in December.

The 26-year-old was happy with his display and says the TKO was an improvement on his debut win at the venue last year.

Meanwhile, Portlaoise super-bantam TJ Doheny, who boxes out of Bondi, Australia, improved to 19 wins at the House of Blues in Boston on Saturday.

The 31-year-old, who beat Carl Frampton in the 2006 semi-finals at the Irish Elites, stopped Connecticut's Mike Oliver in the second of a scheduled eight round co-feature in New England.

Irish Independent

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport