Wednesday 24 January 2018

Carl Frampton fight cancelled as he looks set to split with Barry McGuigan

Carl Frampton. Photo by Matt Browne/Sportsfile
Carl Frampton. Photo by Matt Browne/Sportsfile

Sean McGoldrick

Amid speculation that ex-World champion Carl Frampton is on the point of splitting from his long time promoter Cyclone Promotion fronted by Barry McGuigan, the company has announced that the postponed fight between Frampton and Andres Gutierrez has now been cancelled.

In a statement issued on twitter, Cyclone Promotions said they had been working to agree a new date for the postponed bout — which was due to take place on 29 July in Belfast — but that a November date proved unsuitable to all parties.

Those who purchased tickets for the original fight — for which Frampton was one pound overweight and which was called off after Gutierrez sustained facial injuries when he slipped in the shower after the weigh-in –will get a full refund.

Interestingly, the statement says the promoters are working to arrange a date for a new fight and are confident that Frampton can become world champion again.

However, it remains to be seen whether Frampton will fight under the Cyclone Promotion banner again.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport