Anthony Joshua says Jarrell Miller ‘does not deserve to be in a ring with me’ as he breaks public silence on failed drugs tests
Anthony Joshua believes Jarrell Miller "does not deserve to be in a ring with me or any other heavyweight" following his alleged failed drugs tests.
The 30-year-old American has been denied a licence to fight Joshua in New York on 1 June after reportedly failing two Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (Vada) tests, one for the banned substance GW1516 and one for Human Growth Hormone (HGH).
Miller has since apologised and said that he “messed up”, with Joshua poised to confirm a new opponent for the bout at Madison Square Garden.
And speaking for the first time since news of Miller’s alleged doping violation surfaced, Joshua has condemned the former kickboxer – having been accused by Miller of taking performance-enhancing drugs during their promotional tour for the fight.
"I don't want to talk too much about the situation with Jarrell Miller, because it is not in my character to knock a man when he is down,” Joshua said in a video posted on YouTube. "But there are a lot of things he has said previously, at press conferences and in the build-up - and I wanted to crack him in his jaw.
"But I know when you are in a position, you have to lead by example, and I knew that was not the right thing to do.
"The lesson to learn is that karma works in various ways - what goes around will come back around. I feel he has taken fate and his own blessings out of his own hands.
"Sometimes be respectful - I know it is a fight - but be respectful, be appreciative and lead by example. What he has done is not lead by example.”
Joshua is expected to fight another American in Michael Hunter, with an announcement set to be made “within 48 and 72 hours” by Joshua’s Matchroom promoters. Cuban heavyweight Luis Ortiz, who has previously failed a drugs test, was another option for the IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight champion, but the failure to meet Tuesday’s deadline appears to have ended the prospect of that bout being made.
Yet while he is insistent that the 1 June date will go ahead, Joshua did concede that the future could lie in the hands of the belts’ governing bodies, which will decide their preferred opponents and mandatory challenges individually.
"Cheats will get found out and hustlers and hard workers will always rise to the top,” Joshua added.
"Good luck to Jarrell Miller with whatever he does in his life - but he does not deserve to be in a ring with me or any other heavyweight right now.
"I don't know what the future holds, that is not up to me, that is up to the governing bodies but they will make the right call."