| 14.7°C Dublin

Borlase takes bonus point

RUGBY: Munster 'A' claimed a comfortable 29-0 victory over Moseley at Billesley Common and came away with a bonus point, thanks to Kiwi prop Peter Borlase touching down their fourth try with two minutes left on the clock.

With Bedford's draw at home to Llanelli effectively knocking both sides out of the competition, Munster are all but in the quarter-finals.

A tepid opening 40 minutes saw Munster's scrum in dominant form and Scott Deasy's 10th-minute penalty sent them into the lead.

The home side were unable to keep out David Kilcoyne, who was dragged over the line for the first try of the game.

With Kilcoyne's try coming two minutes before the interval, Munster started the second half in a similar fashion. Again it was the forwards picking and driving their way through the Moseley defence, spearheaded by the impressive O'Callaghan.

Christy Condon had the legs to drive over for another try and Deasy's second conversion stretched the lead to 17.

Their third try came on 50 minutes, with the forwards pummelling their way into a useful position. Scott Deasy conjured up the game's highlight with an excellent cross-field punt that landed neatly in the arms of Patrick Butler for a score in the corner.

It left Munster chasing the bonus point in the remaining quarter of the game and one last push in the closing five minutes saw substitute prop Borlase pounce from two metres to score.

* * * * *

SAILING: The Irish 49er team of Ryan Seaton and Matt McGovern pulled out all the stops at the ISAF World Sailing Championships in Perth yesterday to qualify for this morning's medal race.

Having already qualified for the London Olympics, they started the day in 12th place and after the first two races they were in tenth position.

However, as only the top 10 boats qualify for the medal race, they had to finish in the top 10 in the third race to guarantee their place and this they duly did with a fine sixth-place finish.

"This is a fantastic achievement for Matt and Ryan and a personal best," said James O'Callaghan, ISA performance director.

In the Men's Laser, James Espey missed out on Olympic qualification after he was black-flagged in the second race. He will have another chance to qualify at the Laser World Championships in Germany next May.

* * * * *

GAELIC GAMES: Two goals from Offaly wing-forward Brian Grehan were the crucial scores in ensuring the home side's progression to the last four of the Leinster Vocational Schools championship yesterday afternoon in Ferbane, as the Faithful ultimately saw off Wicklow by 2-13 to 1-9.

Grehan and six other starters on the Offaly side were playing on their home club ground and they took full advantage of the familiar setting, bursting out of the blocks with their first goal after just over a minute of play, before Wicklow had a chance to settle into the game.

Despite playing into a stiff breeze, Wicklow enjoyed plenty of possession and remained well within striking distance until a five-minute spell either side of half-time.

A manageable 1-3 to 0-3 deficit was tripled by six consecutive Offaly points, Aaron McDonagh and Ciarán Cahill each scoring twice in this spell.

A Kevin Kealy goal in the 44th minute offered Wicklow a reprieve but Grehan responded with his second goal almost immediately.

The visitors' hopes were further dashed when Wicklow goalkeeper Garry Carroll was dismissed for dissent by referee Brendan Hickey after disagreeing with an incident in the build-up to the goal and Offaly eased to comfortable win from then on.

* * * * *

GOLF: World number three Lee Westwood suffered a slump in form as his huge lead of the Thailand Golf Championship was slashed to four stokes by surging South African Charl Schwartzel yesterday.

An erratic day for Westwood saw him card a third round of

73, 13 shots worse than his stunning opening-round 60 which helped him to an 11-stroke lead at the halfway point.

US Masters champion Schwartzel made four birdies in his first five holes on his way to a second successive 66 at the Amata Spring County Club, paving the way for a crunch final day at the $1 million Asian Tour event.

Westwood had not carded a bogey in his opening two rounds but four arrived yesterday as his dazzling form disappeared. The Englishman said he still had the upper hand and the pressure was on his rivals to overhaul his lead on the final day.

* * * * *

Sixteen-year-old American Lexi Thompson became the youngest professional winner of a Ladies European Tour event yesterday as she won the Omega Dubai Ladies Masters by four shots.

The win made her the second-youngest LET event winner after Amy Yang, who won the ANZ Ladies Masters as an amateur in 2006.

It was Thompson's second professional success of 2011, having already won the Navistar LPGA Classic three months ago. She shot a final-round 67 for a 15-under total of 273.

Ireland's Rebecca Codd finished with a round of 72 some 20 shots behind Thompson.

* * * * *

HOCKEY: Despite the challenging weather around the country, Munster ties proceeded with Cork Harlequins and Catholic Institute striding away towards this season's men and women's respective titles.

The Harlequin men needed only the opening 10 minutes of play to settle the issue in a 2-0 win over C of I at Garryduff, thanks to goals from David Eakins and Philip McLoughlin. Catholic Institute likewise maintained their unbeaten league run with a narrow 1-0 away win over Cork Harlequins, Kym Daly's second-half penalty stroke goal sealing the win.

The one Leinster women's fixture between Three Rock and Pembroke was called off due to the frost.

* * * * *

CRICKET: Vernon Philander finished with 10 wickets in only his third Test as South Africa's fast bowlers blew away Sri Lanka in an innings victory inside three days at SuperSport Park in Centurion yesterday.

Philander and Dale Steyn shared 16 wickets as Sri Lanka were bowled out for 180 and 150 to lose by an innings and 81 runs.

* * * * *

Shane Warne's return to cricket after a brief retirement ended in defeat yesterday as his Melbourne Stars team was beaten by Sydney Thunder in the Big Bash Twenty20 tournament.

Thunder captain David Warner hit an unbeaten 102 to lead his side to victory at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Spin great Warne (42) recovered from burns to his bowling hand to take his place in the Stars team, but he returned figures of 2-19 on his comeback.

* * * * *

BASKETBALL DCU Saints ended a two game losing streak to Demons in Glasnevin last night with Keith Anderson and Micheal Chubb proving the unlikely stars in their 93-78 win over their Cork opponentsd.

Anderson although used sparingly by the Northern Conference leaders was nonetheless very effective hitting eleven points in the first quarter while Chubb proved dangerous from the outside hitting four three's.

Star meanwhile suffered another crushing defeat to Neptune who had trailed to a Fergal Toner three pointer heading into the final minute..

Neptune captain Gary Walsh was to edge Neptune in front and Ronald Thompson sank the decisive basket.

Sunday Indo Sport