Sunday 20 October 2019

Barnes, Conlan hammer French

IRELAND beat France for the second time in 48 hours at the National Stadium as they secured a 5-3 win.

John Joe Nevin and Joe Ward sat out yesterday's match with hand injuries. French light-fly Dylan Beccu, who was stopped in the second round by Paddy Barnes in Cork, was also out injured and Barnes moved up to fly for Dublin while Michael Conlan moved up from fly to bantamweight.

Neither boxer encountered any problems at the new weights, with Barnes hammering Samuel Kistohurry 22-8 and Conlan cruising to a 25-8 decision over Elias Friha.

David Oliver Joyce, Adam Nolan and European U-23 champion Jason Quigley also won yesterday, but Sean McComb, Tommy McCarthy and Con Sheehan lost.


Banbridge made a dynamic start to the Irish League final but it was Monkstown who ended up with the trophy at Grange Road as two goals from arch poacher Stephen Ward helped the Dubliners wrap up the cup/league double with a 4-3 victory.

Bruce McCandless bundled in Simon Magowan's cross to open the Banbridge account with a mere 12 seconds on the clock and Monkstown remained on the back foot until Gareth Watkins dived in for an equaliser on 14 minutes.

And 'Town went ahead for the first time on 24 minutes as Ward put a touch on a Davy Carson shot.

Ban pulled level once more when Simon Magowan cashed in on Philip Brown's prep work but they were behind again by the break after Ward's second was driven to the net at chest height.

The third quarter was scoreless but, down the home straight, Carson scrapped in around Gareth Lennon's pads to secure precious insurance for the leaders.

The cushion was required as Stephen Dowd, the league's top scorer, sent a late penalty-corner whistling past the helmet of Davy Fitzgerald.

The losers have the compensation of European hockey next season as Senior Cup winners Monkstown had already qualified to represent Ireland.

RAILWAY UNION completed the double the hard way with a 5-4 shoot-out win over Loreto after an Electric Ireland women's league ding-dong final had finished 3-3.

The holders took an early lead on three minutes when Ireland captain Alex Speers volleyed home but, by the end of the first quarter, they were behind to penalty-corners from Cathy McKean and Nikki Symmons, as the defence struggled to cover for the absence of injured captain Emer Lucey.

Half an hour later, Sinead Dooley scooped in the equaliser from an ambitiously narrow angle and within three minutes, they were ahead once more, as Kate Lloyd broke at pace, but Symmons' second, again at the set-piece, propelled the final into the shoot-out.

The drama was extended into sudden death before Cathy McKean missed for Loreto and Julia O'Halloran rolled the ball over the line for Railway.

Irish Independent

The Left Wing - RWC Daily: End of an era as Ireland say sayonara to World Cup

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport