Wednesday 14 November 2018

O'Brien wins out in duel of the Dubliners

FERGAL O'BRIEN claimed the scalp of World champion Ken Doherty to reach his first ranking event semi-final in the Regal Scottish at Aberdeen yesterday.

FERGAL O'BRIEN claimed the scalp of World champion Ken Doherty to reach his first ranking event semi-final in the Regal Scottish at Aberdeen yesterday.

O'Brien beat fellow Dubliner world number three Doherty 5-4 but he did it the hard way in winning the last three frames of a quarter-final which took 221 minutes to complete.

``It was slow going, a war of attrition because of the way the balls were,'' said O'Brien, who had beaten world number five Peter Ebdon in the last sixteen.

``But to beat Ken is a great scalp for me, whether he is world champion or not. I wasn't thinking of semi-finals during the match because I was so engrossed in what was going on.


``This was a big day for Irish snooker, the interest back home has been fantastic,'' said O'Brien whose highest breaks were a 66, 54 and 53.

``Really it was a hell of a match but the rivalry is over and Ken and I will be practicing together next week.

``We are both playing in the Thailand Masters in Bangkok in a fortnight's time and often get together before a major event like that.''

O'Brien who practices at Raphaels in Lucan, persuaded the club to install a satellite dish just before the Scottish event started.

``This tournament gets blanket coverage on TV and I think I've given my friends back home their money's worth in getting this far.

``I would imagine a few more of them will also be coming over to watch the semi-final and hopefully the final, including my wife Jean.''

Doherty whose highest break was only a 44 said: ``The way the game went didn't suit me. There were scrappy frames and it was impossible to get any rhythm, no one could have done.

``Fergal dug in and came back well to win the last three frames. He will have to play better to go all the way but I would have done as well. However he is playing steady and has every chance.

``But really it was a terrible match which lasted an awful long time.''

The crucial frame as far as Doherty was concerned was the seventh after O'Brien had made a break of 66. There were still enough points on the table for the world champion to win the match 5-2 but when he had made 29 he missed the last but one red.

``It was too straight and I had to hit it hard, that's why I missed it,'' said Doherty.

O'Brien agreed: ``It was the red I knew Ken would find difficult to pot from the moment he started the break. It was always a possibility that he would break down on it.''

O'Brien went back to the table and cleared up with a break of 34 to reduce Doherty's lead to 4-3.

The eighth frame produced a late break of 44 from O'Brien and in the decider he kicked off with a 54 which meant Doherty needed snookers if he was to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. He made a brave attempt to do so but it was too much for him.

O'Brien today faces the winner of the quarter-final between John Higgins and Euan Henderson.


Switched-on Stephen Lee made it a television debut to forget for surprise quarter-finalist Chris Scanlon yesterday.

World number 16 Lee raced to a 5-0 whitewash of his London rival in just 84 minutes to reach the semi-final.

Unknown Scanlon had won his previous two games by the same margin but as Lee admitted: ``I don't think I would have beaten Chris by that score on one of the outside tables.

``Chris couldn't really settle down probably because it was his first time before the cameras.

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport