Monday 26 February 2018

WATCH - UFC interim champion Jon Jones breaks down in tears following positive drug test

Jon Jones
Jon Jones

Tom Rooney

UFC interim light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones broke down in tears as he spoke for the first time since being pulled from the main event of UFC 200 late last night for a possible doping violation.

Jones, 28, failed an out of competition drugs test conducted by USADA last month, in which the metabolite of a banned substance was detected. It is yet to be revealed if it was found in Jones’ blood or urine.

Widely considered the greatest mixed martial artist in history, Jones emphatically denied he had taken any performance enhancing drugs, and posited that his supplements may have been interfered with.

Jones was scheduled to face champion Daniel Cormier in a highly anticipated rematch and unification bout at the T-Mobile Arena on Saturday.

Sitting along side his manager Malki Kawa, the New York native, frequently weeping, apologised unreservedly to the UFC, Cormier and the fans.

“I want to start by apologizing to all the fans who came out to support me. Obviously, the UFC for not being able to perform. I know there’s been a lot to go into this event, the staff of the UFC.

“I want to apologize to Daniel Cormier. I know that this fight means a lot to him. The fight meant a lot to me, and the fight’s not happening. So I just really wanted to apologize to everybody sincerely. I really don’t know what to say.”

A B Sample test will be conducted today, and the results will be delivered to Jones soon thereafter.

Jones is looking at a two-year ban and being stripped out his interim title if found guilty. However, he claimed that regardless of the outcome, he would fight again.

 “If I do have to sit out two years, I will definitely be back. I’m optimistic, man. At the end of the day, I’m a fighter.”

While his record inside the cage is near flawless, outside it, Jones' conduct has consistently been found wanting.

In 2012 he was arrested from driving under the influence after crashing his Bentley into a lamppost  and later plead guilty.

In January of 2015, he tested positive for cocaine metabolites then, three months later, he plead guilty to leaving the scene of an accident, after he had hit the car of a pregnant women in Albuquerque before fleeing the scene on foot.

He was subsequently stripped of his light-heavyweight title and banned from competing. Jones later revealed that he had been struggling with alcohol and marijuana addiction.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport