Sunday 22 April 2018

'Only if the money is right' - Floyd Mayweather teases Conor McGregor rematch

Floyd Mayweather stopped Conor McGregor is a boxing match last year
Floyd Mayweather stopped Conor McGregor is a boxing match last year

Max Ryan

Rumours of a ‘MayMac’ rematch are refusing to dissipate and Floyd Mayweather has insisted that any potential fight would take place in the Octagon.

Mayweather, who defeated Conor McGregor by technical knockout in the boxing ring last August, told Showtime that if a deal can be struck between CBS and Dana White he could be open to coming out of retirement for the fight.

“I spoke with Showtime and CBS,” he revealed. “If we can get together with Dana White and the UFC to make a mega-fight happen, one fight, it could be against Conor McGregor, we don't know.”

McGregor’s arrest in New York earlier this month has cast doubt over any talk of a rematch and just last week Dana White took to Twitter to rubbish the idea.

Mayweather is not letting that stop him planning for a fight which would garner great interest in the fighting world but insists that money will be a major factor.

“When I do go to the Octagon I look forward to going to probably around 145 lbs,” he said.”But right now I've got my promoter hat on.

“Only if the money is right but the money will always be right, you talk to my team about that, we'll all get on the same page.”

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport