Thursday 26 April 2018

'Conor might never fight again' - Dana White unsure on McGregor UFC return

Conor McGregor
Conor McGregor

UFC president Dana White has said he doesn't know when - or even if - Conor McGregor will make a return to the Octagon.

The Dubliner hasn't fought since his professional boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather in August, but hasn't competed in the UFC since all the way back in October 2016.

That night saw McGregor become the first simultaneous two-weight world champion in the promotion's history after beating Eddie Alavarez to claim the lightweight belt in what was the Notorious' biggest achievement to date.

However, the 28-year-old has been involved in a series of controversial incidents since then, including at a Bellator event in Dublin recently where he jumped into the Octagon after a fight and became involved in a physical confrontation with a referee.

Speaking to Yahoo Sport about McGregor yesterday, White said that he wasn't sure whether he had the appetite to return to the cage.

“Listen, Conor might never fight again,” White said as he was discussing the McGregor-Bellator incident. “He made $100 million. I’ve got guys who made less than that who are lawyers and went to school their whole lives and quit working. When you go to school your whole life to be a lawyer, and you’re a good lawyer, and you make a few bucks and you’re done? The guy’s sitting home every day watching cartoons or whatever he’s doing. I don’t know.

“If Conor wants to fight again, absolutely we want Conor to come fight. But if Conor walks away and doesn’t ever want to fight again, it’s part of the game.”

McGregor had been rumoured to return at UFC 219 just before the New Year, however that card has since been filled.

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport