Tuesday 24 April 2018

'Conor McGregor v Nate Diaz III is internet bulls**t' - Dana White reveals plans for McGregor's next fight

UFC President Dana White attends a news conference for the bout between boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. and UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor at the KA Theatre at MGM Grand Hotel & Casino on August 23, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Mayweather and McGregor will meet in a super welterweight boxing match at T-Mobile Arena on August 26 in Las Vegas. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
UFC President Dana White attends a news conference for the bout between boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. and UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor at the KA Theatre at MGM Grand Hotel & Casino on August 23, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Mayweather and McGregor will meet in a super welterweight boxing match at T-Mobile Arena on August 26 in Las Vegas. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

UFC President Dana White has called Conor McGregor's purported rematch with Nate Diaz 'internet bulls**t' following Tony Ferguson's submission win over Kevin Lee in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Ferguson's third-round victory earned the Californian his 10th straight victory and the UFC's Interim Lightweight championship.

His victory sets up an intriguing encounter with current Lightweight champion Conor McGregor, who has not fought in the UFC since his second-round stoppage of Eddie Alvarez last year.

Reports last month suggested that McGregor had booked a comeback bout with Nate Diaz, however, White has since rubbished those claims as 'internet bulls**t'.

"Nobody’s talked about Diaz," said White at the post-fight press conference. "Diaz has never been talked about. That’s Internet bullshit.

"Tony’s the interim champion, Conor’s the champion. It’s the fight that makes sense. It’s the fight that has to happen."

When asked if he had spoken to McGregor about his return to the octagon, White said that McGregor intends to fight again before the year is over but that he is still enjoying some time off following his professional boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather Jr.

"We didn't specifically talk about it, but yeah we talked about it... kind of," added White.

"He wants to fight again this year. He does want to fight again this year. He went and partied in Ibiza for a while and went back home for a while.

"You've got to let him blow off some steam and then we'll figure it out."

McGregor has four fights left on his current deal with the UFC but he insisted after his win over Eddie Alvarez last year that the UFC brass needed to come talk to him about an equity stake before he fights again in the promotion.

“No one has talked to me since the sale happened,” said McGregor following WME-IMG’s €3.54 billion purchase of the UFC last year.

“As a businessman, no one has approached (me yet), but I’ve earned something.

“Who owns the company now? There’s people who have shares in the company, celebrities — Conan O’Brien owns the UFC nowadays. So where’s my share? Where’s my equity?”

“If I’m the one that’s bringing this, they’ve got to come talk to me now. That’s all I know. I’ve got both belts, a chunk of money, and a little family on the way.

“If you want me to stick around, if you want me to keep doing what I’m doing, let’s talk. But I want ownership now. I want equal share. I want what I deserve.”

McGregor will most likely want the issue to be resolved before any potential return to the octagon.

Online Editors

Sport Newsletter

The best sport action straight to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport