Conor McGregor 'unlikely to fight again in 2017' as promotion confirms Akhmedov v Vettori for UFC 219
UFC Lightweight champion Conor McGregor is unlikely to fight again this year after the Dubliner was omitted from UFC 219 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Mike Mazzulli, the director of the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation (MTDAR) and president of Association of Boxing Commissions and Combative Sports (ABC), said earlier this month that Conor McGregor had been axed from UFC 219 over his behaviour at Bellator 187.
McGregor was filmed pushing referee Marc Goddard and striking a Bellator employee after his SBG teammate Charlie Ward scored a first round TKO win over compatriot John Redmond in the Three Arena earlier this month.
The UFC lightweight champion entered the ring and joyously hugged Ward even though the referee had yet to stop the fight.
Mazzulli contacted top officials in the UFC following the flashpoints and claimed that McGregor had been pulled from the December 30 event as a result.
“I had some executives from the UFC contact me within two hours of what occurred, and they basically said to me that it is completely unacceptable in their eyes and that they will be doing something,” Mazzulli told The MMA Hour. “They did inform me that he was set to be on the December 30th card and he will not be on it. So, I do commend UFC to some extent for doing that.”
On Tuesday the UFC confirmed that Edson Barboza will fight Khabib Nurmogomedov in the co-main event while Cris Cyborg will defend her women's featherweight title against Holly Holm in the main event.
Elsewhere on the card, the promotion also confirmed that Omari Akhmedov will fight Marvin Vettori.