Thursday 5 December 2019

Conor McGregor to return to the Octagon with Las Vegas showdown in January

Conor McGregor sfter defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov. Photo: Sportsfile
Conor McGregor sfter defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov. Photo: Sportsfile
Controversy: Conor McGregor reacts after losing to Khabib Nurmagomedov in his last UFC fight in Las Vegas in October 2018. Photo: AP

Philip O'Connor

Former two-weight UFC champion Conor McGregor is set to return to the octagon on Jan. 18 where he will take on veteran American Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone in a welterweight bout at UFC 246, promotion boss Dana White has told ESPN.

"Conor has signed and 'Cowboy' is ready to go," the UFC president said, giving the green light for the return of one of MMA's most bankable stars.

Irishman McGregor, who has 21 professional wins and four losses in MMA and a single defeat to Floyd Mayweather on his professional boxing record, has not fought since losing his lightweight title to Khabib Nurmagomedov via submission in October 2018.

The 31-year-old has previously fought twice at 170 pounds against Nate Diaz, losing the first fight to a second-round submission but winning an epic rematch on points.

Since losing to Nurmagomedov, McGregor has had several brushes with the law, and, in a court hearing on Nov. 1, pleaded guilty to assaulting a man in a pub in Dublin earlier in the year.

Who is your sportstar of the year?

Vote in the Irish Independent Sport Star Awards and you could win the ultimate sports prize.

Prizes include, tickets to Ireland's against Scotland in the Six Nations, All Ireland football and hurling final tickets and much more.

Simply click here to register your vote

Reuters

The Left Wing: The problem with the Champions Cup, the Stephen Larkham effect and trouble in Welsh rugby

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport