Conor McGregor: Donald Trump can shut his big fat mouth – I don't give a fu** about him
UFC star Conor McGregor says beaten women's champion Ronda Rousey will come back stronger from her shock defeat and told American presidential candidate Donald Trump to keep his counsel on all matters MMA.
Rousey lost her women's bantamweight title to Holly Holm via second-round knockout at UFC 193 earlier this month and Trump was critical in the aftermath of the encounter.
"Glad to see that @RondaRousey lost her championship fight last night. Was soundly beaten - not a nice person!," he posted on his Twitter account post-fight and also criticised her failure to touch gloves with Holm.
McGregor, who meets Jose Aldo at UFC 194, was asked by TMZ at Los Angeles airport for his thoughts on both Rousey and the criticism she received from Trump.
"Donald Trump was talking trash? I didn't know Donald Trump was talking trash," he said before he was informed of the nature of the criticism.
"It's easy for someone who isn't in there to comment, it's different when you are in there, the emotions are high.
"You touch gloves or you don't, it means nothing. Donald can shut his big fat mouth. I don't give a fu** about Donald Trump."
Read more here:
- Conor McGregor leaves for Las Vegas and has a clear message for Jose Aldo
- Jose Aldo prefers watching women's MMA but thinks the men are 'at a higher level'
The Dubliner has admitted that he has not spoken to Rousey since the defeat but has backed her to return stronger than eve.
"This is the fight business, these things happen," he insisted.
"Ronda will be back, god champions come back. Congratulations to Holly the new champion.
"Defeat is the secret ingredient to success," he said. "True champions can conquer that, overcome it and come back. So I wish her all the best and that's it."
McGregor arrived in Los Angeles with just under three weeks to go before his UFC featherweight title unification bout with Aldo in Las Vegas.
The Dubliner spent 10 weeks in the ‘Mc Mansion’ just outside Las Vegas in preparation for his ultimately cancelled bout with Aldo at UFC 189 on July 19. He would defeat late replacement Chad Mendes via second round TKO to clinch the interim featherweight crown.
Subsequently, the 27-year-old has explained that, despite the luxurious surroundings and perpetual sunshine in Nevada, he missed the comforts of home and would have a far less extensive stay stateside prior to the showdown with Aldo.